With the introduction of ground forces to the masses in patch 1.41, I figured it's prime time to put together a discussion/index of possible premium vehicles the Soviets may end up with (excluding domestic prototypes such as the T-34-57 premium). Fortunately, Archive Awareness has a fairly comprehensive library of both captured and lend-lease vehicles, so I'll start with the information I can gather from there. I hope I can get some community cooperation on this effort, as I know how much people love to blow their hard earned gold on shiny premium stuff.

Please note, not all vehicles mentioned below actually saw service. Some vehicles were purchased for evaluation purposes, sent to the Soviet Union for their opinion on the tank, or captured for testing. I need a lot more help identifying what captured vehicles were pressed into service, as my sources are limited.

* denotes vehicles have been added to Soviet tech tree

Lend-lease American vehicles:

• M4 Sherman (various models)*
  • M3 Light
  • M24 (rejected for service)
  • M3 Medium
  • M4A2
  • M26 (for evaluation)
  • M18 (rejected for service)
  • M10 Wolverine (extent of service unknown)

Lend-lease British vehicles:

Captured German vehicles:

• Pz. I
  • Pz. II
  • Pz. III (various models)*
  • Pz. IV (various models)
  • Pz. V Panther (various models)
  • Pz. VI Tiger
  • Pz. VIB Tiger II (Henschel and Porsche turm)
  • JagdPz V. Jagdpanther
  • StuG III (various models)
  • Marder II
  • Sdkfz 251/22 (Pak 40)
  • Jagdtiger (allegedly)
  • Pz. VIII Maus (prototype)

Captured Italian vehicles:

Captured Hungarian vehicles:

Captured Japanese vehicles:

•  

Captured Romanian vehicles:

• Maresal tank destroyer (prototypes)

re-Captured French vehicles:

• Somua S35
  • FT-17
  • Char B1bis

re-Captured Czech vehicles:

• Cz. 35
  • Cz. 38
  • vehicles based on Czech platforms (Marder 38(t) and Jagdpanzer 38(t), namely)

My sources (I would like some more):

http://tankarchives.blogspot.ca/p/through-eyes-of-enemy.html

http://tankarchives.blogspot.ca/p/lend-lease-impressions.html

Edited by Henry_Bankshaft
  • Upvote 10
medal

I really don't like. you want a german tank? PLAY THE BLOODY GERMANS. you want a US tank? PLAY THE US. (when they are implemented.)

I Don't like this "everyone has everything" sherman vs sherman tiger vs tiger rubbish. just look at how captured vehicles turned out in planes: the P47, the standard German tier III fighter. the B25, standard russian tier II bomber. the spit mk IX, one of the most common US tier IV planes. and already: the M4 sherman, the standard german tier II tank. it's also unrealistic: hurr durr they captured one maybe test drove/flew it once, hey, lets make it available to 80% of players! (example japanese corsair.) yeah! NOT.

prototypes and captured vehicles are some of my biggest annoyances with this game when it comes to planes/what planes there are.

Edited by Aerobane
  • Upvote 9
medal medal medal medal medal

I really don't like. you want a german tank? PLAY THE BLOODY GERMANS. you want a US tank? PLAY THE US. (when they are implemented.)

I Don't like this "everyone has everything" sherman vs sherman tiger vs tiger rubbish. just look at how captured vehicles turned out in planes: the P47, the standard German tier III fighter. the B25, standard russian tier II bomber. the spit mk IX, one of the most common US tier IV planes. and already: the M4 sherman, the standard german tier II tank. it's also unrealistic: hurr durr they captured one maybe test drove/flew it once, hey, lets make it available to 80% of players! (example japanese corsair.) yeah! NOT.

prototypes and captured vehicles are some of my biggest annoyances with this game when it comes to planes/what planes there are.

First, let me clarify that regardless of whether people want captured premium and lend-lease vehicles, it's going to happen. Also, consider the case of England. Their inadequacies in war time tank production necessitated imports, hence the prominence of the Sherman in their tank arsenal. The Soviets were much the same. To make up for their shortcomings, the Soviets ordered a solid amount of English and American tanks (although tanks like the M3 light and Valentine were considered inadequate by their countries of origin and their Soviet operators).

• Upvote 1
medal

4000 Shermans were lend leased to the Soviet Union, yeah that's right, a four followed by three zeroes, tell me, how is that unrealistic?

More 700 B-25 were also sent to the Soviet Union, they were the second most important medium bomber in the Soviet Union after the DB-3/IL-4, that's over twice as the number of Yer-2 produced throught WW2, again, how is that unrealistic?

Edited by babehunter1250
  • Upvote 3

I'm waiting for a Soviet Sherman personally, so I can grind up both sides with one of my favorite tanks of all time.

medal medal medal

It's funny to me how the Russians used so many American planes and tanks , yet they produced more planes and tanks than any other nation in the war. Guess glorious motherland needed glorious borrowed tanks for gloriously overpopulated country?

• Upvote 2
medal medal

4000 Shermans were lend leased to the Soviet Union, yeah that's right, a four followed by three zeroes, tell me, how is that unrealistic?

More 700 B-25 were also sent to the Soviet Union, they were the second most important medium bomber in the Soviet Union after the DB-3/IL-4, that's over twice as the number of Yer-2 produced throught WW2, again, how is that unrealistic?

I am talking about that "captured" tiger, kingtiger, etc. I am ok with lend lease. try to tell me they sent 4k tigers and kingtigers. but that won't stop everyone getting one!

and "it's going to happen so don't try to stop it" is a pretty bad argument...

Whan exactly did I use that argument?

that was addressing the other guy not you.

It's funny to me how the Russians used so many American planes and tanks , yet they produced more planes and tanks than any other nation in the war. Guess glorious motherland needed glorious borrowed tanks for gloriously overpopulated country?

Well, why they produced massive ammounts of tanks they also lost a lot (particullary during 1944, due to the fact that the Soviets were continuosly on the offensive betwee other factors) of them so having some extra ones didn't do any harms, also the M4 Shermans used by the Soviet Union weren't a big logistic burden thanks to the tank relatively good reliabilty and the fact that the ones exported to the Soviet Union were powered by diesel engines just like the T-34 and the IS tanks (the fuel was the same, the engine ofc wasn't)

They were in dire straits after basically losing almost the entire army in 1941. Every machine was welcome.

It's not feasible to compare produced vehicles directly between nations because it depends on their respective definitions of "produced". Is a refurbished vehicle newly produced or just repaired? These spring up a lot.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal

Does anyone know whether the Soviets used any captured Polish armour? I suspect they did, but I have no good sources.

medal

Russia Confiscated the Maresal Romanian Tank Destroyer Preproduction and the Maresal M-05 and Maresal M-06 prototypes. Evaluated, never serviced.

Edited by Linx6
medal medal medal

• various tank destroyers and assault guns (need help here)

You can have the stug III for example

"5th Armoured Brigade of the Guard, September 1944"

stug_410.jpg

Or the marder III (1943)

444930marder3.jpg

SDKFZ 251/22 with pak40

138770sdkfz25122.jpg

• Upvote 2

I added several German tank destroyers thanks to NightmareRarity's help. I couldn't find much information on the Romanian Maresal  from any reliable source or archive information. I'd also like to know whether the Soviets captured any Japanese armour during their involvement in the Chinese front.

medal

With the introduction of ground forces to the masses in patch 1.41, I figured it's prime time to put together a discussion/index of possible premium vehicles the Soviets may end up with (excluding prototypes such as the T-34 premium). Fortunately, Archive Awareness has a fairly comprehensive library of both captured and lend-lease vehicles, so I'll start with the information I can gather from there. I hope I can get some community cooperation on this effort, as I know how much people love to blow their hard earned gold on shiny premium stuff.

Please note, not all vehicles mentioned below actually saw service. Some vehicles were purchased for evaluation purposes, sent to the Soviet Union for their opinion on the tank, or captured for testing. I need a lot more help identifying what captured vehicles were pressed into service, as my sources are limited.

Lend-lease American tanks:

• M3 Light
  • M24 (rejected for service)
  • M3 Medium
  • M4A2
  • M26 (for evaluation)

other American lend-lease vehicles of interest:

• M18 (rejected for service)
  • Various AA vehicles (need help for this one)
  • Jeeps

Lend-lease British tanks:

other British lend-lease vehicles of interest:

• Universal Carrier
  • Carden-Loyd Mk. IV tankette

• Pz. I
  • Pz. II
  • Pz. III (various models)
  • Pz. IV (various models)
  • Pz. V Panther (various models)
  • Pz. VI Tiger
  • Pz. VIB Tiger II
  • StuG III (various models)
  • Marder II
  • Sdkfz 251/22 (Pak 40)

Captured Italian vehicles:

Captured Hungarian vehicles:

Captured Japanese vehicles:

re-Captured French vehicles:

• Somua S35

re-Captured Czech vehicles:

• Cz. 35
  • Cz. 38
  • vehicles based on Czech platforms (Marder 38(t) and Jagdpanzer 38(t), namely)

My sources (I would like some more):

http://tankarchives.blogspot.ca/p/through-eyes-of-enemy.html

http://tankarchives.blogspot.ca/p/lend-lease-impressions.html

you forgot the maus

medal medal

First, let me clarify that regardless of whether people want captured premium and lend-lease vehicles, it's going to happen. Also, consider the case of England. Their inadequacies in war time tank production necessitated imports, hence the prominence of the Sherman in their tank arsenal. The Soviets were much the same. To make up for their shortcomings, the Soviets ordered a solid amount of English and American tanks (although tanks like the M3 light and Valentine were considered inadequate by their countries of origin and their Soviet operators).

actually the russians thought that the valentine was one of the best western tanks of ww2

• Upvote 1
medal medal

I added several German tank destroyers thanks to NightmareRarity's help. I couldn't find much information on the Romanian Maresal from any reliable source or archive information. I'd also like to know whether the Soviets captured any Japanese armour during their involvement in the Chinese front.

What information do you need?
Looking at some of my books it states the prototypes and pre production got confiscated when Romania switched sides. So was all captured Romanian Equipment. So I know that two Tigers got captured that way and given to Russia.
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal