Nope

Tovarish Nope's guide to tank ammunition

How effective is heat againt light skined and open top tanks? would a heat shell striking the open rear of a marder 3 kill the crew like a he shell would?

Also how effective is heat against thin skinned td's like the m10 and m18?

HEAT's sensitive fuse allows it to do well against light skinned targets, more than some APHE in certain cases. The Schurzen used by certain German tanks for instance was used to stop AT rifles used in ambushes, but also worked in stopping HEAT, and the plates were actually less than 10mm thick. This should tell you about the sensitivity. In-game though, I've heard of good results from slamming HEAT into M18 Hellcats. I can't confirm right now since my desktop's gone to crap, but I believe other players would know.

medal

APHE (Armor Piercing High Explosive): Same as AP shot, but the shell is filled with explosive in order to not only improve penetration, but also cause more damage upon penetrating armor.

I'm pretty sure having explosive filler instead of a solid shell actually decreases, rather than increases armour penetration

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal

@Nope have You ever tried to compare WT penetration effects of different ammo types, with actual data from tests, documents, studies?

• Confused 1

Is there a difference in inside damage model between AP, APC, APBC and APCBC (I mean if for example one of them after penetration has a wider cone of splinters)? And does greater mass of ammunition without HE inside causes that they do greater damage?

medal medal

On 30.01.2018 at 11:03 PM, kryj said:

Is there a difference in inside damage model between AP, APC, APBC and APCBC (I mean if for example one of them after penetration has a wider cone of splinters)? And does greater mass of ammunition without HE inside causes that they do greater damage?

Ballistic cap (BC) has nothing to do with penetration or damage, it only reduces drag, so the round will lose less energy on distance, but it's not increasing anything, rather "reduce decreasing".

So AP will be acting exactly the same as APBC, and APC as APCBC.

Cone of fragments can be divided into two main sections - spall from armor, and the round, which can be fragmented or not. Cone with spall from armor is wider than the one from the round's fragments.

Spall from armor - I'm not sure, but most probably all rounds will cause similar spalling, when round diameter, mass and velocity is the same. Both angle of cone and amount of armor fragments should be similar.

The only real difference is how round would behave.

Uncapped AP round will go through the armor as one piece, unless the armor is more than ~75% of the max penetration of the round. For example, if the round have 200 mm of penetration it will go through 100 mm of armor as one piece, but going through 150 mm will probably shatter the round. Going through 190 mm will almost definitely shatter it. Damage? Well, depends on situation really. Shattered round means more fragments going through tank, not shattered - less fragments, but the round is still traveling and can make further critical damage, like hitting the engine at the back of the tank (which would be unharmed by fragments).

Capped APC will almost always penetrate the armor as one piece, as soft metal cap reduces the initial shock. So it will act like AP that did not shattered.

The difference in mass between AP and APHE is not big enough to make real difference in damage. The biggest advantage of APHE was that if the round was not shattered during penetration, it was fragmented by explosion. If APHE would shatter when going through armor, it would act exactly like similar AP.

There is some evidence that significant increase of damage may be obtained by increasing the amount of energy per area, not total kinetic energy of the round. That is why HVAP was doing more damage than AP shot from the same gun.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1