just_2own

KV-1 (All Variants) - Questions, Information, Gameplay

if the kv-1 had 3 lives, then it would be balanced to pit it against the tanks that were specifically constructed to kill it.

medal medal medal medal

problem is you have to kill 3 or more tanks to actually have a positive effect on the match, because owing to genius game design all your enemies get 2 respawns.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

I found something out, KV-1 is pretty good on Simulator battles.

Besides that putting KV at it's/ higher BR to vs enemies that are made to kill it is not good, look at the british wellington for example, we got 2 in tier 2, 1 in tier 3, and 1 in tier 4!!!
The wellington was not being produced until the first fighters made to kill them rolled out for a reason. I wouldn't mind to see a br that will fit 50/50 of them, but if it always see KV-1 killers, that's a problem regardless of spawns or not, it is a slow heavy target. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

You would also have air support for all the tanks with the Germans completely dominating evertything the Russians had and dive bombers wrecking Russian tanks

What exactly does balancing tanks by year/date of introduction have to do with reinacting World War 2? Don't bring BS into the discussion.

Introducing tanks based on year/quarter is a better idea than this balance nonsense. Unlimited APCR/APCBC ammo is balance enough. lol at 1939 USSR vehicles fighting 1942-43 German vehicles in the same teir.

Its because the 1939 kv-1 we have in the game right now is FORCED to fight the 1942 medium and tank destroyer that was designed to specifically destroy the kv-1. The only thing the zis-5 version of the kv-1 gets is protection from the turret ring getting hit very easily and the upgraded gun. It still has to fight as if it was a kv-1C versus 1942 enemies that were made to counter it AND MORE.

Doesnt matter how you angle it, at medium range your toast, 75 armor angled(with no bonus from the armor being angled already since its flat) has NOTHING to say against 110+ pen

Do we know which KV the one with the ZiS is yet? Is it the Model 1940 or 1941? i.e. does it have 90 mm or 130 mm of front armour? (The stat cards lie, no ZiS armed KV-1 had 75 mm of armour on the front of the hull or the turret).

medal medal

Just started playing the Russian side and this is the only tank that ever gives me trouble. I was wondering how to play against this thing while playing with Russian tanks. Also how should I play this tank? It seems as though every time I try to pen this tank nothing happens. Yet every time I play as this tank I either dominate or get dominated very quickly.

medal medal medal

Well, I do. And I have a kill/respawn ratio of 4:1 with this tank. The kill/death ratio is even 8:1... And btw, I'm still a tanknoob! :secret:... Imo, I think the BR needs some rethinking, at least in AB! :)s

... Although this wasn't the point of this topic!...^^

Edited by baltsen
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

This tank will dominate until you meet a guy who exactly knows where to shoot. Then KV is gone in max 2 hits, usually crippled after the first. I'm talking about the mid to close range. At a distance it will be tough nut to crack, just like the Tiger (should be).

medal

Are you playing arcade?

Arcade right now since my internet connection is not doing so well at this moment. The weak points should be just the same though.

medal medal medal

The problem I have is that I can't get any long range combat in this tank...even on Kursk.  I can't see crap on Kursk with all those trees everywhere.  The only place I can really get long range combat going is over the northern ridge.  I'm going to have to stop playing this tank for awhile.

Just sidescrape the s.h.i.t. out of every tank you come across if you can, only damage you will take will be superficial track and suspension damage. The only gun that can give you problems even when angled is the german 75mm on the Pz IV F2 and Stug III F.

Just sidescrape the s.h.i.t. out of every tank you come across if you can, only damage you will take will be superficial track and suspension damage. The only gun that can give you problems even when angled is the german 75mm on the Pz IV F2 and Stug III F.

That's the only gun that I found had consistent results with the KV-1. So far I am doing fine against the KV-1 in my T-34-57, but the reason is obvious. 

medal medal medal

While playing it make sure to angle your armor.

Playing against it use APCR rounds and shoot its upper plate just under the turret if you have to shoot the front. Otherwise if you have a good gun you can use AP rounds and shoot the sides and rear and almost always one shot it.

I'm fairly sure the KV1 has an ammo rack in it's turret.

And APHE shot through it will insta-kill the beast.

Soviet heavy tank line is pretty weak overall.
medal medal

from the front, aim at the drivers hatch; it should knock out the driver, loader and gunner (for better effect be sure the hatch isn't angled).

Also, the turret has some weak spots; aim bottom left or right on the turret to knock out the gunner and destroy the ammo rack which will in most cases destroy the tank.

Machine gun port on the turret is also a weakspot but you should ony attemt the shot with a powerful gun (like the one on Pz IV F2 or stug III F).

KV-1 is a big tank that is best destroyed with big guns, it will eat a few shots from Pz III 50mm gun before its destroyed (only use APCR from close distance).

When playing the KV-1, angling the armour and distance are your best bet. The first L11 gun version is slightly undergunned (stug III and T-34 present some problems for the gun) while the ZiS-5 gun has more punch.

Edited by Razorjack999

I am not a hard core War Thunderer, so, can some one explain a detail about the KV1 L-11?

When I am in "My Hanger" I look at the stats of the KV1 L-11 and it says it has a battle rating of 2.7.

But when I take it into battle and in the "ScoreBoard" screen I hover over my name to see what I have, and it battle rates it at 3.3.

Can someone explain what is going on? 

It makes grinding the KV1 very hard, compared to the rest of the tanks I have been grinding out in the Russian Line.  I am usually the smallest (Battle Rated) player on my team.  LOL

Thanks in advance.

-G

You may have the stat cards set to AB instead of RB/SB.

• Upvote 2
medal medal

Is this tank even useful?

Compare to L-11 & its BR, it performs poorer. Plus it doesn't feature any heavier armor. Despire the welded plate.

Any tips or...?

It used to be pretty awesome when it was at BR 3.7.  You could slap it in with a 3.3 tank and the rest 3.0 or lower and get it into some really low tier games.  It's amazing how much difference the .3 BR raise to 4.0 makes in terms of the matchmaking.  

In its current state, I'd ignore it.  There are better tanks in that BR range that have multiple respawns and much better guns.

medal

In a 4.0 or lower BR game it can be a very tough tank but anything higher and it is just a detriment to the team.

medal medal