just_2own

KV-1 (All Variants) - Questions, Information, Gameplay

Not often... it reks anything else.

i get t-50 vs F-2 like 90% of the time, and those N preimums are anoying. they eat APCR all day in the driver slit and gunners port. and they bounce or eat anything on their spaced armor,.

medal medal medal medal medal

I can confirm this. Well, atleast the BR change in itself was the right choice.

KV-1 L11 is borderline op. Really bordeline.

KV-1 Zis-5 is actually so utter crap.

I can't believe people find that one op.

• Upvote 2

Gaijin ninja-changes BRs, they realize we(The community) get mad when they do such things, So they do it without telling us, and they can continute to live in the fantasy world of stat based balancing.

Edited by Kocyra
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

The br350p or apcr rounds for the kv-1zis5 are not working in fact they are unlocked for the tank but when i go into battle they are not listed as a round that i can use. They are not even showing up as an option to select in battle.

for issues such as this, you need to go to the proper technical section (here) and create a proper bug report, only way these things get addressed 

medal medal medal medal

I have played 20 matches in the premium KV-1E and I wish I had my money back.  I have spent over $500 dollars on this game and I am happy with literally every thing I have purchased but this tank is useless at its current battle rating.  I don't expect it to just lay waste to the enemy just because it's premium but I can barely penetrate most tanks at its current BR.  I also come face to face with many Tiger I tanks and its utterly useless against it.  I have to hide most matches and I have yet to have a bounce from most tier 2 tanks firing at me.  Even Ausf. L. tanks pen me at over 500 meters as if I'm a tier 1 tank...much less the Tiger H1.  I strongly urge you to either add a harder hitting round to the arsenal or lower the BR substantially.  If I'm to expose myself to trade damage with an adversary the gun should atleast do damage to tanks my tier.  I've tried every round it has against the Tiger and I've yet to pen one and kill it...even from the side at hardly any angle.  Very aggravating!      

• Upvote 4

Any expert KV-1 drivers out there can give me some tips to have some success in these tanks, if at all possible?

I think my survival-ratio ( at least since after 1.43 when I started to play Soviet tanks consistently ) is close to zero...

I constantly get one-shot-killed by PZ III's, PZ IV F2's and whatnots ( SB exclusively ) and I am in no way rushing to the front either. Almost alwyas getting penetrated by gun breech, at all possbile ranges and angles....

I am very very frustrated by these "heavy" tanks atm, which I thought actually was the reason PZ IV got the 75mm guns ( could be wrong on that part though).

It's sad, because I really like the lumbering KV-1's but feel like just deadweight to the team mostly. Worst is when you get into a battle and realize most of allied plays KV-1, its guaranteed a loss.

Any successfull KV-1 drivers around who can give me some tips and advice? Or is it just a shitty piece of junk to don't bother with at all?

:dntknw:

The L-11 version isn't great, but the F-34 version is much better.  KV-85 is just deadweight thanks to its BR.

• Upvote 1
medal medal

The L-11 version isn't great, but the F-34 version is much better.  KV-85 is just deadweight thanks to its BR.

Much better armored and gunned but BR 4.7 also...facing much harder enemies, and still gun breech made of paper.

Edited by Wunderwaffen

The KV1s are (in my experience) hard to kill (most of the time I can only be killed by APCR, which takes quite long time) but have bad guns for their BR, although I'm looking forward to APCR in my Zis-5 version.

The KV1s are (in my experience) hard to kill (most of the time I can only be killed by APCR, which takes quite long time) but have bad guns for their BR, although I'm looking forward to APCR in my Zis-5 version.

Then I have to ask with what you're experiencing them hard to kill, because I had the same feeling when I played my PZ III L before 1.43, but now that I play KV it just seems to explode all the time when facing PZ III's...

Problem with the Zis and F 34 is that you face Tigers -> Not fun!

Disagree, I kill KV-1 with ease with Pz III J snd Pz IV F2. The drivers view port is the weak spot and not difficult to hit if you practice. Even KV-1E is easy to knockout frontally same way since the driver viewport is not reinforced. Keep in mind that the enemy will most likely try to hit your gun 1st taking it out of service since repair times have been increased in 1.43 (not documented in patch notes though). If getting hit from side the KV-1 is not hard to set on fire if get the ammo storage area. Just use x-ray feature in garage and see where the fuel storage and fuel tanks are on the vehicle and protect those areas.
Edit: the Pz III J have a very flat fireing gun and quick reload so its not difficult to snipe crit areas with that vehicle. Also you need APCR to pin KV-1 reliably. Edited by Radom
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

The first one is fairly viable due to its tier in the BR system. As long as you know where to hit the PzIII and PzIVs and how to properly angle the tank then you shouldn't have to much of a hard time. When my squad was helping some friends go up the Russian tree we would usually pull KV-1 L-11s on Poland and take the town square, it tended to be fairly hard to impossible for the enemy team to pry us out of there. Unfortunately the KVs tend to start loosing their luster as you go up the tree due to the enemy getting better and better guns, though the German captured one is quite nice as well..

Edited by DePriest
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Well, I guess I am probably way too overconfident when driving "heavy" tank KV-1 and not angling my chassis enough...Its just that those times I actually am angled my gun breech is penetrated and blowing up anyways...Someone has a nice replay of successful KV-1 battle, I would really appreciate if it was posted.

have been wanting to buy the German one also, but seeing too much players in German queue these days I stick with soviets for now.

Edited by Wunderwaffen

Disagree, I kill KV-1 with ease with Pz III J snd Pz IV F2. The drivers view port is the weak spot and not difficult to hit if you practice. Even KV-1E is easy to knockout frontally same way since the driver viewport is not reinforced. Keep in mind that the enemy will most likely try to hit your gun 1st taking it out of service since repair times have been increased in 1.43 (not documented in patch notes though). If getting hit from side the KV-1 is not hard to set on fire if get the ammo storage area. Just use x-ray feature in garage and see where the fuel storage and fuel tanks are on the vehicle and protect those areas.
Edit: the Pz III J have a very flat fireing gun and quick reload so its not difficult to snipe crit areas with that vehicle. Also you need APCR to pin KV-1 reliably.

Most likely then it was my opponents' lack of knowledge then. My games in the Zis 5 are horrible: I can't kill anything (StuG 3G's armor is 80mm) other than an F2 or Pz3L on small maps. My post was inspired by its performance on Kursk where tanks shoot each other from 600-800 metres, and my stock ammo seems horrible, and my opponents still can't kill me fast enough.

Edited by KelBalST

Well, I guess I am probably way too overconfident when driving "heavy" tank KV-1 and not angling my chassis enough...Its just that those times I actually am angled my gun breech is penetrated and blowing up anyways...Someone has a nice replay of successful KV-1 battle, I would really appreciate if it was posted.

have been wanting to buy the German one also, but seeing too much players in German queue these days I stick with soviets for now.

Know the maps well, know good hull down positions and don't rush. Plan your movement ahead, if possible pair with one medium and cover him while he spots targets. Yesterday I was moving along with one T-34 and managed to kill 5 tanks all over 800 m distance.

medal medal medal medal

The KV1E is really good imho.

A true heavy tank experience.

Know the maps well, know good hull down positions and don't rush. Plan your movement ahead, if possible pair with one medium and cover him while he spots targets. Yesterday I was moving along with one T-34 and managed to kill 5 tanks all over 800 m distance.

Well, I never rush in any tank, but from my recent experiences even in hull down I am penetrated in gun breech ( at least thats what killcam shows ) and destroyed or severly crippled.

Of course, if you have someone to follow/following you in squad it gets easier as you can coordinate much better but still, that goes for every tank. For me, KV-1's just feels too squishy for a heavy tank, against its adversaries.

The KV1E is really good imho.

A true heavy tank experience.

Indeed, its just  too high BR, facing Tigers which it just cannot compete against and has the same soft spots as the other two KV-1's

Indeed, its just  too high BR, facing Tigers which it just cannot compete against and has the same soft spots as the other two KV-1's

That's true, but when you're the top dog? God help the gremans.
  • Upvote 1

iRazgriz, you were topdog and not facing Tigers after 1.43? Seems everyone and their grandmothers are queing with Tiger or Panther D these days, kinda reminds me of FOTM Dora, Spit 9 and Corsair in previous patches...

I didn't play the E that much since I figured I would meet Tigers regularly after a few faceoffs with them, and also better to learn how to KV-1 in lower battles first. Which is basically the reason for this post, I want to be better and master the KV-1 :salute:  

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Wunderwaffen

Just my personal observation but in my view good majority of KV drivers are often overconfident and use that tank as mobile pillbox thinking its indestructible at 500m+. In addition they often do not utilize terrain to its fullest benefit and stay out in the open (though some will angle). KV cought in the open without friendly support often dies to a german tanker who uses terrain and gun depression to stick out just enough of his turret out to fire while denying the enemy his body silhouette.
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Radom: Agreed, and that is not exclusively KV-drivers though, had an IS-2 driver yesterday on Karelia rushing ahead alone, get surrounded by 2xTigers and a PZ IV 70, getting rekd and blame the "N**B-team" for his demise ( think his exact words were: N**bteam, have a good loss").

I absolutely loved the KV-4 in WOT before they introduced premium ammo for all so probably some of that mentality still lingers in my subconscious somewhere...

Anyways, I digress from my own thread. Guess I need to learn to angle more and more often..even turret!

And just to clarify a bit, I have decent games with KV-1's ( mostly first one)  and often enough do my share of killing enemies, its just that I cannot seem to survive a whole battle nowadays which buggers me.

Edited by Wunderwaffen

I wanted to buy it myself Injun, but that F 32 gun keeps reminding me I should stay away. First of all even with APHEBC (30 lions/shell & you will want to use that ammo constantly) will only give you 5 mm of extra penetration at 10 meters (horrible). The KV "L 11" is situated at 3.7 the "Zis 5" and "F 32" are currently at 4.7; 1E  Should be at 4.0 . In truth it is the best armored KV especially on the hull, but moving it up so high it negates it's armor and it's gun and makes it useless fighting such high tier vehicles. If you really want the KV 1e downtiered a bit, I suggest you make a report and perhaps if you agree with me, you could also make them to drop the ammo cost to 20, I might buy one if that happens...

Edited by SamuraiJack
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal