just_2own

KV-1 (All Variants) - Questions, Information, Gameplay

i dont know how does the game works now because i came back after few months. now i'm playing with t28 and i cant research kv 1..

it says that i need to reach a level into aviation. so now how i preceed?

thank's

• Upvote 1

Hey

Unfortunately you have to research 6 era I tanks before you can research any era II tanks.

I know what you are asking and yes, it is as stupid as it sounds.

• Upvote 6

Yeah this is really stupid and unmotivated.

i hope they will make some changes Soon

Edited by just_2own
  • Upvote 1

Unfortunately these changes were brought to the plane side with the last update.

I order to get anywhere with the tanks in some ranks you need to get ALL of the tanks in order to progress. All in all expirience vise its not a huge problem but you have to BUY all those tanks.

In the Russian lineup you need around 8 rank 3 tanks and 6 rank 4 tanks (all) and they all cost between 100.000 and 300.000 !!!

Maybe we should make a petition to get this removed.

medal medal

Unfortunately these changes were brought to the plane side with the last update.

I order to get anywhere with the tanks in some ranks you need to get ALL of the tanks in order to progress. All in all expirience vise its not a huge problem but you have to BUY all those tanks.

In the Russian lineup you need around 8 rank 3 tanks and 6 rank 4 tanks (all) and they all cost between 100.000 and 300.000 !!!

Maybe we should make a petition to get this removed.

I thought you just had to research them, not buy them?

medal

Hi,

I just unlocked the kv-1 and i'm having some real trouble with it, 

I only play simulator battles and i have the problem that i'm getting one shot and penetrated from the front all the time.

Is this just a problem that i'm having or is the kv-1 just a bad tank?

Btw any hints/triks/tips would be highly appreciated!

Edited by HerkDerp

It's not just simulator. KV-1 was great on the first day, then people got higher tier 2 german tanks and now 4 out of 5 games youre going to get shot once in the front and have ammunition or fuel blow up. Get used to it. It makes me sad too.

• Upvote 1
medal medal

I don't want to sound too elitist but have you tried not getting hit in the first place? The KV-1 has 75mm frontal armor not counting any angles which get's penetrated by half of the tier 2 tanks and it has quite a few weak spots right in the front plates plus the lower glacis plate is rather easy to hit and even less armored.

It's not a solopwnmobile as it's been in WoT mostly due to WT damage model which by the way is way more realistic than anything that WoT has to offer.

The KV-1 in War Thunder is seriously under performing for a heavy tank, me and my friends play them and continuously get ammo racked by Pz III's and cannot penetrate them to save out lives.

• Upvote 3

KV-1 suffers from the fact that a fair proportion of players came here from world of tanks.

Thanks to it being the sealclubbers weapon of choice for so long in world of tanks, so a very large percentage of the population have learnt its armour weak points and how to counter it. 

Having players go from "if you somehow manage to pen it only does 10% of its HP in damage" to "if you pen, you wreck the tank", players knowing the weakspots makes a massive difference to this tank.

Try taking it out in Kursk and stay back at longer range, its a nightmare to take down from long range, even if your gun is able to easily pen its weakspots. 

The KV-1, in reality, was only good until the Germans stopped shooting 37mm and short 75mm guns at it.

Tests of a KV hull led to the following conclusions:
  • The front can only be penetrated by 50 mm APCR shells.
  • The sides can be penetrated by 37 mm and 50 mm APCR, as well as 50 mm AP (in practice, no 37 mm APCR penetrations were found).

http://tankarchives.blogspot.com/2013/05/research-into-soviet-armour-protection.html

• Upvote 3
medal

Kv-1 came 1939, it wasnt until 1942 that the germans started producing pz 4 F2s and stug 3s with the long gun.
Also sherman came 1942 as well. So technically we should have kv-1s, kv-2s and early to late t-34 76s fighting panzer 2s, 3s and then mid to late t-34 76mm the stug 3 with the stub should come along, and then we should have m4 captured, F2, stug long barrel fighting kv-85s, t-34 lates(non 85) and su-76s. Until the tiger comes, then we got is-1 and 2s, su-85, su-122, and even t-44s vs Tiger tanks,m4s, questionably panthers and pzjgd IVs.

But that is if you want historical accuracy, wouldnt make a fun game most of the time. or maybe it would.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

Kv-1 came 1939, it wasnt until 1942 that the germans started producing pz 4 F2s and stug 3s with the long gun.
Also sherman came 1942 as well. So technically we should have kv-1s, kv-2s and early to late t-34 76s fighting panzer 2s, 3s and then mid to late t-34 76mm the stug 3 with the stub should come along, and then we should have m4 captured, F2, stug long barrel fighting kv-85s, t-34 lates(non 85) and su-76s. Until the tiger comes, then we got is-1 and 2s, su-85, su-122, and even t-44s vs Tiger tanks,m4s, questionably panthers and pzjgd IVs.

But that is if you want historical accuracy, wouldnt make a fun game most of the time. or maybe it would.

You would also have air support for all the tanks with the Germans completely dominating evertything the Russians had and dive bombers wrecking Russian tanks

• Upvote 3

You would also have complete air superiority and air support for all the tanks with the Germans completely dominating evertything the Russians had and dive bombers wrecking Russian tanks

fixed that for you

Russian militarily only had one thing that slowed the Germans down and sadly that was mediocre equipment and tons of bodies to throw at them, the killing blow to the German onslaught was the Russian winter... just like every previous campaign against Russia in history...

Just looking at the BR's of Russian planes pits 1944 designs against 1942 German aircraft to be competitive, which in reality it was the opposite 1942 German aircraft looked like 1944 designs compared to Russian 1942 aircraft despite being produced the same year... pretty much everyone in the world took design elements off of captured German planes and incorporated them essentially always playing catchup until the later years of the war when the German war-machine was crumbling from a devastated infrastructure.

Edited by T3MPEST
  • Upvote 2
medal medal

fixed that for you

Russian militarily only had one thing that slowed the Germans down and sadly that was mediocre equipment and tons of bodies to throw at them, the killing blow to the German onslaught was the Russian winter... just like every previous campaign against Russia in history...

Just looking at the BR's of Russian planes pits 1944 designs against 1942 German aircraft to be competitive, which in reality it was the opposite 1942 German aircraft looked like 1944 designs compared to Russian 1942 aircraft despite being produced the same year... pretty much everyone in the world took design elements off of captured German planes and incorporated them essentially always playing catchup until the later years of the war when the German war-machine was crumbling from a devastated infrastructure.

Soviet aircraft are horrifically over rated in this game. Besides the fact that the Yak-9T/K shouldn't even be able to sustain more than single round burst without spiralling out of control, capable planes like the Yak-1B and base model La-5 face Bf-109 F1s and Emils. In reality, the La-5 was designed to counter the early Focke-Wulfs. Not to mention that one of the best performing single engine fighters of the war was the Yak-9U (which is more than a match for Doras in game). Unfortunately, Gaijin looks at their data sheets and sees the Soviets getting dunked on because a good chunk of the people who fly them have less cognitive ability than a potato. I personally wouldn't mind fighting FW 190s in my early Yaks. It would probably be a decent fight.

As for the technolgoical inferiority of the Soviets, I recommend you check out the Shkas machine gun. It was a technological marvel in its day.

medal

The main disadvantage I find with the KV-1 is that its a heavy tank that can be penetrated by pretty much all equal BR mediums, yet you only get 1/1 for matches you queue for while these other thanks get 2/2 tanks each. This means that in modes like RB, if there are 3-4 KV-1s that get 1 shotted thats is usually 30-40% of your team gone, while all the german tanks have 2 tanks per player.

• Upvote 2

I suppose the current BR of the KV-1 is a direct consequence of when it had a bugged DM, if now it's actually fixed I think they might had to reduce it's BR (just a bit) for exemple I don't understand why in RB the KV-1 with the Zis-5 has a 3.7 BR (de facto low tier 3 BR), I think 3.3 or 3.0 might be a better choice, the BR of the L-11 armed KV-1 hould be revised too probably...

• Upvote 1

Hey, trying to grind up tier 2 with this thing.  I do not like the T-34's (I suck at T-50 and T-34's in CBT and I suck at T-50 now so I guess T-34 didn't change either)
Anyone got good ideas how to ease the pain and how to use this tank? I got one shotted a couple times by panzer III's in this thing. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Hey, trying to grind up tier 2 with this thing.  I do not like the T-34's (I suck at T-50 and T-34's in CBT and I suck at T-50 now so I guess T-34 didn't change either)
Anyone got good ideas how to ease the pain and how to use this tank? I got one shotted a couple times by panzer III's in this thing. 

Angling is everything. If you give a flat side to someone, expect a swift death.

medal

Angling is everything. If you give a flat side to someone, expect a swift death.

KV-1 is just flat sides. Also its cannon cannot damage anything.

Edited by turel2

Its because the 1939 kv-1 we have in the game right now is FORCED to fight the 1942 medium and tank destroyer that was designed to specifically destroy the kv-1. The only thing the zis-5 version of the kv-1 gets is protection from the turret ring getting hit very easily and the upgraded gun. It still has to fight as if it was a kv-1C versus 1942 enemies that were made to counter it AND MORE.

Doesnt matter how you angle it, at medium range your toast, 75 armor angled(with no bonus from the armor being angled already since its flat) has NOTHING to say against 110+ pen

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

Yeah, I would have to agree. The KV-1 all around is pretty much garbage and where it stands in the match maker will make it a non used tank. 1/1 on a tier one might actually make it used, but in tier two or above it just gets it's fuel tanks blown up instantly by any vehicle it faces.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal