Please update the dorsal fin (vertical stab) on the p51"d" variant.

http://www.airpowerw...51d-mustang.htm

The D variant included several upgrades (not all aircraft showed them at first) including the tapered teardrop canopy (flows smoothly in and out of the fuselage), and the tapered vertical stabilizer which actually begins in front of the horizontal stabilizer.

http://en.wikipedia....an_P-51_Mustang - Here's a great article which actually shows different variants of the d model including the ones using the improved dorsal fin. It's the most widely used and iconic of the "d" models so I think the game should use it.

Explaining of why the dorsal fin was added available here. - http://www.ipmsstock...eng_p51late.htm

Image posted below to show...

p51d-changes.jpg

post-34502-0-43002300-1354910447_thumb.j

• Upvote 9
medal medal medal medal medal

I'm no expert, but there were few versions of D Mustang, earlier versions had tail without this element in front of vertical stabilizer, maybe its that one in game :)

You're right starbuck there were. But the dorsal fin was an early adjustment that was made when the d variant first came out. Pilot's complained that the new merlin engine's horsepower was making it hard for the pilots to keep the plane from rolling (due to the increased adverse yaw). To counteract this, they added more stability with the modification and later retrofitted all the other d variants with it. So in essence, most of the photos you could find that don't have the new dorsal fin were probably taken before it was added. It was added to pretty much all mustangs before the end of the war though and thus the model should have it.

Hi Cpt_AirWolf,

This is an issue some people (including myself) have brought up quite some time ago already. Devs' point of view then was that the model is accurate, depicting an early version of the P-51 D and didn't plan on updating (at that time). Personally I think that's a pity since the later P-51 D models with the improved bubble canopy and dorsal fin are more iconic, famous and pretty than the one's without, apart from the improvements in flight characteristics in the later models.

Hopefully the devs will look into this one day.

MAC

• Upvote 2
medal

I agree with you... not only is it a more iconic representation but it's also much more accurate. The updated dorsal fin was only missing from very early models of the p51d which were later all retrofitted with it. Come on Gaijin... do your homework and you'll realize it's important to include it. Try finding a p51d that survived ww2 and didn't have the updated bubble canopy and vertical stabilizer!

• Upvote 1

Well the ingame version of the P-51D is the P-51D-5-NA which is the first P-51D production block and most aircraft this production block didn't have the dorsal fin installed.However my personal complaint about the P-51D is the wing position of the D-Day stripes,in real life the stripes began just outside of the wing root.

I think the devs are right. This is quoted from the article "Modeller's Guide to Late P-51 Mustang Variants" which was recommended by you:

"... a dorsal fin was added ahead of the rudder during the production run of the P-51D Block 10"

So the dorsal fin was introduced after D-5s. Also if you compare the ingame model to the picture of the P-51D-5-NA "Frenesi", the ingame model is pretty accurate I would say. Hopefully the devs would give us a D-25 later.

• Upvote 2

I think the devs are right. This is quoted from the article "Modeller's Guide to Late P-51 Mustang Variants" which was recommended by you:

"... a dorsal fin was added ahead of the rudder during the production run of the P-51D Block 10"

So the dorsal fin was introduced after D-5s. Also if you compare the ingame model to the picture of the P-51D-5-NA "Frenesi", the ingame model is pretty accurate I would say. Hopefully the devs would give us a D-25 later.

You make a good point but you left out my main argument...

"In order to provide for better directional stability, a dorsal fin was added ahead of the rudder during the production run of the P-51D Block 10. Some of the earlier P-51Ds (plus a few P-51Bs) were retrofitted with this dorsal fin."

Most of not all p51d and b models that were flying after the war had been retrofitted with the new dorsal fin. I think that in a game where we have Sabre's and MIG15s flying the skies... it isn't to much to ask that my p51d be a later variant of the design. Especially given that it's a tier14 aircraft.

You make a good point but you left out my main argument...

"In order to provide for better directional stability, a dorsal fin was added ahead of the rudder during the production run of the P-51D Block 10. Some of the earlier P-51Ds (plus a few P-51Bs) were retrofitted with this dorsal fin."

This is true, infact the P-51D-5NA in WarThunder has been retrofitted with the K-14 gyro gun sight that was first introduced on the P-51D-20NA.

I'm sure it will be added to the tech tree later on. I mean look at all of the ne Bf-109's coming out.

hmmmmmm I wonder if they will include the Fw-190C V18, the predecessor to the Ta-152H?

medal

Any suggestions on what kind of tatics to use when flying the P-51? I have harder time killing poeple with this plane than the p-26 peashooter.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Hit and run, boom and zoom, always have your energy either in speed or altitude. Try not to waste energy by turning at low altitude.

• Upvote 1

It's not a turn fighter. From 400mph you can do about 2 tight rotations before you run out of flying speed. It's best to dive down on your opponent and zoom climb back to altitude, rinse and repeat. Try and stay around 10000ft to ensure energy is always kept. Pick your targets wisely or you made get the crap end of the stick. And as always, practice, practice, practice.

Also. I like to keep rockets on me for those who like to do head on chicken runs.

• Upvote 1
medal medal

screw the dorsal fin modeling... how does it fly?

It's a very nasty crate. At 400mph you can turn with just about anything but a zero. Very good boom and zoom aircraft, although it's climb rate is dwarfed by the Spitfire XIV which shares the same engine type. (RAGE!) 6 fifty caliber machine guns literally lights thing on fire or makes them explode. It's like turning on a waterhose of fire and lead. It's very, very agile in its roll and rudder, so staying on target (realistic and above) takes some prejudicial shooting. I tend to wound my prey and swing back around to continue nipping at it until it dies.

medal medal

use similar bnz tactics discussed above, since none of those can turnfight...

and the cobras are very wiggly in a turn, due to the mid-engine

concentrate on a smooth coordinated turn, and you'll hit something... but that's a lot of extra 'fiddling' that most pilots cannot or don't want to do

i personally love the cobras and yaks, but it's an 'acquired taste'

The solution to this problem isn't modifying the current P51 D-5 model. It's patience, until more version of the aircraft are released.

Increasingly so, over time, the game will be made more and more accurate.

By the way, not even the nimble zero could turn with a P51 at 400 MPH. The Zero would have compression issues, where the 51 would not.

The new P51D should be flying much nicer now, though I really don't know when or with which update the new wave of FM updates will be released.

It's been brought up many times my friend... let's hope Gaijin is listening :D

http://forum.gaijine...urate-3d-model/

No one noticed that text error before though.

Good spot man. (What is the small box highlighting on the side profile picture though?)