List of all planes best climb speed?

Rapitor

Hi everybody.

Those who are playing in HB/RB or FRB/SB know how important it is to respect the climb speed to climb efficiently.

Here is what I found for now (all speeds in the post are in kmh IAS), mostly from www.avialogs.com
Unfortunatelly, I am not good enough in German, Japanese, and Russian to translate their handbook, even though I find them.
Feel free to MP me if you want to lend a hand.

Blue are from Pilot's Note from www.avialogs.com, read and transcripted by me.
Black are from the forum / various sources, not always verified.

GB:
Spitfire Mk I & IIa & IIb: 257 with WEP (HB config), 300kmh (no WEP) up to 13'0000ft, then reduce by 4.5 every 1'000ft
Spitfire Mk Va & Vb & Vc: 273 from SL to 10'000ft, then reduce by 2.5kmh / 1'000ft
Spitfire Mk IX & XI & XVI variants: 257 from SL to 26'000ft, then reduce by 4.5kmh / 1'000ft No difference for models IX F, LF, HF in the pilot book, even though the wings are different.
Spitfire Mk XIV & XIX (Griffon engine): 290 from SL to 22'000ft, then reduce by 4.5kmh / 1'000ft

Tempest Mk II: 305 from SL to 20'000ft, then reduce by 4.5 / 1'000ft
Tempest Mk V: 298 from SL to 20'000ft, then reduce by 4.5 / 1'000ft

Mosquito Mk VI: 273 from SL to 20'000ft, 260 above.

Hurricane Mk I: 250 from SL to 10'000ft, reduce 1.5 / 1'000ft
Hurricane Mk II: 225 from SL to 16'000ft, reduce 1.5 / 1'000ft

Typhoon Mk Ia & Ib & Ib/L: 298 From SL to 16'000ft, reduce 4.5 / 1000ft

Beaufighter Mk IV & X & 21: 257

Germany:
FW 190 A-1 variants: 280

FW 190 A variants: 299
FW 190 D variants: 320
If someone is good in german: http://www.avialogs.com/index.php/en/aircraft/germany/focke-wulf/fw190.html

BF 109 E & F variants: 266
BF 109 G variants: 289
same: http://www.avialogs.com/index.php/en/aircraft/germany/messerschmitt/bf109.html

MC.202: 240 (IG)

USA:
F4U variants: 250 from SL to 21'000ft, then reduce 3 per 1'000ft
F6F variants: 250 from SL to 21'000ft, then 255
F8F-1: 260 from SL to 20'000ft, 270 from 20'000ft to 25'000ft, 280 above

P-36 A & C & G: 225 from SL to 5'00ft, then add 8 / 5'000ft
P-38 G: 270
P-38 J & L: 290 km/h, then reduce by 1.5 / 1'000ft
P-39: 283 from SL to 5'000ft, 257 from 5'000ft to 10'000ft, 254 from 10'000ft to 15'000ft, reduce 1.5 / 1'000ft after
P-40: 255
P-47 B & C & D: 265 from SL to 10'000ft, 250 above
P-51 B & C & D: 280 from Sl to 15'000ft, 275 15'000ft to 20'000ft, 265 above

P-63 A-5: 250

P-63 A-10: 274

F7F variants: 296

Incoming:
F4F

IJA&N:
Ki-61 variants: 250

Ki-43 variants: 250

A6M variants: 260

USSR:
-

NOTE: in general, the most important part is the inital climb rate. It will hold up to 20'000ft in general. After that, consider to reduce your speed by a few kmh every 1000m, and you will do fine. The bigger gain is at the start.

Let's say 5kmh/1000ft seems pretty good for all planes. This "tip" comes from here:

airspeed-on-alititude-graph.png

The higher you go, the slower you need to go to keep an optimal climb.

If any speed seems wrong (historically wise / game wise), let me know, I'll correct them.

Edited by Rapitor
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 38

280 kph IAS works best for most planes.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

Yeah, But P-40 is lower, Fw is higher, P-51 around that, Spit below...

I know the global value, but I would like to create a database witht he best climb speed.

Edited by Rapitor
  • Upvote 2

Really I wish they'd put this on the I info card in game.

So these figures Rapitor, are your observations of how they perform in game, or from real life's manuals and stuff you refer to?

I thought a while ago I read 305kmh for the spit XVI, it would make sense to be faster than the IX because of the clipped wings

Really I wish they'd put this on the I info card in game.

So these figures Rapitor, are your observations of how they perform in game, or from real life's manuals and stuff you refer to?

I thought a while ago I read 305kmh for the spit XVI, it would make sense to be faster than the IX because of the clipped wings

it is from the manual / official documents I found on this forum in other thread, and/or some website with climb chart.

Sometime I have two values for the same plane, same altitude, with a difference up to 10 mph /15 kph.

The other problem is that a plane best climb speed IRL might not be the same as in game too.

The main problem with spit is that, setting aside the fact that there is many variants (I to over 9000), each variants can have different wings. The XVI can have the standard, clipped or elongated wing. I cannot tell which one is respecting my climb speed. Since it is the same as the IX, I guess that it is for standard wings, then your coment will be specified.

Edited by Rapitor

I keep a speed of 300 km/h.Higher speeds means better climb rates.Using 20-30 degrees climb and flying at low speeds doesn't give you good climbing rates.Basicly switch to cockpit view and find climbing gauge.And test it by yourself. Edited by RastahMan
medal medal medal

I keep a speed of 300 km/h.Higher speeds means better climb rates.Using 20-30 degrees climb and flying at low speeds doesn't give you good climbing rates.Basicly switch to cockpit view and find climbing gauge.And test it by yourself.

there is two problems with that:

1 time consuming

2: IG with flawed FM =/= real climb speed.

If you're playing RB then you have lot of time xD.
You're spending anyway 5-10 mins climbing. Edited by RastahMan
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal

Sometime I have two values for the same plane, same altitude, with a difference up to 10 mph /15 kph.

The other problem is that a plane best climb speed IRL might not be the same as in game too.

AFAIK you should always have two speeds. Vx is the one corresponding to a steep angle, gets you the highest while making the least distance. Vy is at a lesser angle, gets you as high and as fast, but at a greater speed and on a bigger distance.

That's a great initiative, but I'd recommend listing in-game speeds rather than actual speeds (those could be indicated as well for comparison, but you really risk turning your thread into a drama fest). 

medal medal

AFAIK you should always have two speeds. Vx is the one corresponding to a steep angle, gets you the highest while making the least distance. Vy is at a lesser angle, gets you as high and as fast, but at a greater speed and on a bigger distance.

That's a great initiative, but I'd recommend listing in-game speeds rather than actual speeds (those could be indicated as well for comparison, but you really risk turning your thread into a drama fest). 

Not totally correct:

Vx is <Vy in term of altitude, at any time.

1302vx-vy-climb.jpg

I'm trying to gather Vy. When Vx and Vy collide, this is service ceiling.

And in a perfect world, Vy IRL will be Vy in game. Using game Vy => change of value at every patch, if the FM is uncorrect

• Upvote 2

Not totally correct:

Vx is <Vy in term of altitude, at any time.

1302vx-vy-climb.jpg

I'm trying to gather Vy. When Vx and Vy collide, this is service ceiling.

And in a perfect world, Vy IRL will be Vy in game. Using game Vy => change of value at every patch, if the FM is uncorrect

You really are an engineer. Nobody else would do this :Ds Im going to test the in-game climbspeed of my favorite planes...

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

im just reading a book at this moment got some info on the p38

when they ordered that model..the req's for at was that it should be able to reach 6100 meters in six minutes

there was some other speed req's..560 kph at 6100 meters..and 467 kph at sea lvl

but that 6100 meters in six minutes..now i havent timed it..but flown some time in p38

seems more or less close ti this ingame..just a feel..havent got any facts to back it up

How can u record altitude/time graphs?

you start the clock when you leave ground, and every 30 secs you report the current altitude.

excel -> graph.

In WWII, no excel, but human, watch with timer, and altimeter. It did the trick back then.

• Upvote 1

Oki, did a climb-test with the Folgore:

l4grvLI.jpg

Best speed seems to be ~240 km/h IAS, climbing in 278 secs to 5k, that 18 m/s average.

Also made a program to make graphs for these tests: http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/112710-warthunder-logging-utility-for-flightmodel-testing/

No idea about IRL data

Edited by MinnaWilcke_
  • Upvote 4
medal medal medal

The XP-50 should be on there. Basically a piston-engine'd rocket.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

thx, I'll note that c202 is around 240 for now.

Edited by Rapitor

this not for sure.

I can tell that it is higher. at such low speed, induced drag is too strong to be at optimal drag speed.

Hmm.. Interdesting.

It's just that someone in the BF 109 thread made a test and.. Oh well.

Edited by Haineko1
medal medal

Oh ! Maybe the actual (and broken bad) FM of the 109 might love a 240 IAS.

As stated, my goal is to gather real climb speed, which might eventualy be the right ones once the FMs are correct