Sign in to follow this  
ElBarca

Kawasaki Ki-61-I ko

the hei feels pretty good to me right now :dntknw:  it can fight mustangs and everything else no problem.

medal medal

the hei feels pretty good to me right now :dntknw:  it can fight mustangs and everything else no problem.

Except its based on Tei. The data which were used most likely come from Famous Airplanes of the World Issue #17. But even Model Art Issue #428 indicates the differences properly :

Kl8T4e.png

In the meantime the Passport was based on Tei, which is completely different variant. 

Для модификации Hei:

Основные Геометрические и регулировочные данные:

Рамах крыла —  12м

Длина — 8,74м

Высота — 3,7м

Площадь крыла с элеронами - 20 м²

Вес — 2238кг (Hei -2630кг.)  

Вес топлива — 396 кг (Hei - 420 кг.)

Вес масла – 32 кг

Взлетный вес — 2982kg/кг (Hei-3470 кг.)

Показатели максимальных скоростей:

Максимальные обороты (WEP), створки радиатора закрыты.

Высота М.                                     Скорость км/ч (S.P.D).

5000                                                           580

Показатели скороподъемности:

Максимальные обороты 100%, створки радиатора открыты. I.A.S 280км/ч

Высота М.                                                      время набора высоты минут

5000                                                                                    7

Its slightly slower than Ki-61 Ko/Otsu, but more importantly its climb rate, turn time and stalls are not  even close to earlier models.

Ki-61-I Hei                                 if compared to                        Ki-61-I Otsu stalls  :

- clean – 169 km/h--------------------------------------------------------- 157 km/h
- combat flaps – 160 km/h------------------------------------------------ 149 km/h
- landing flaps – 150 km/h------------------------------------------------ 140 km/h
- landing flaps and gear down – 150 km/h---------------------------- 140 km/h

The stall performance difference is not that significant, although even Ki-61-I Otsu is not correct. The stall in US test, in landing condition occurred at 115 km/h (72 mph), though it has to be remembered  that  plane was a bit lighter than standard model, but still it is 25 km/h higher than tests indicated - http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/japan/Tony-I.pdf

The biggest difference seems to be in sustained turn - Ki-61 Otsu 18 seconds turn time while Ki-61 Hei 22 seconds. 

To compare I managed to get 17 seconds of sustained turn for F6F-3.

• Upvote 1
medal medal

Except its based on Tei. The data which were used most likely come from Famous Airplanes of the World Issue #17. But even Model Art Issue #428 indicates the differences properly :

Kl8T4e.png

In the meantime the Passport was based on Tei, which is completely different variant. 

Its slightly slower than Ki-61 Ko/Otsu, but more importantly its climb rate, turn time and stalls are not  even close to earlier models.

Ki-61-I Hei                                 if compared to                        Ki-61-I Otsu stalls  :

- clean – 169 km/h--------------------------------------------------------- 157 km/h
- combat flaps – 160 km/h------------------------------------------------ 149 km/h
- landing flaps – 150 km/h------------------------------------------------ 140 km/h
- landing flaps and gear down – 150 km/h---------------------------- 140 km/h

The stall performance difference is not that significant, although even Ki-61-I Otsu is not correct. The stall in US test, in landing condition occurred at 115 km/h (72 mph), though it has to be remembered  that  plane was a bit lighter than standard model, but still it is 25 km/h higher than tests indicated - http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/japan/Tony-I.pdf

The biggest difference seems to be in sustained turn - Ki-61 Otsu 18 seconds turn time while Ki-61 Hei 22 seconds. 

To compare I managed to get 17 seconds of sustained turn for F6F-3.

So the power to weight ratio on the hei is completely wrong? It should be slightly worse than the otsu, correct?

Edited by SubRyan
medal medal medal

Could be even marginally better or at least equal, all depends which Otsu you would pair against. The one with 4th  200 l internal fuel tank or the one with lowered wing fuel tanks capacity and without 200 l fuel tank.

medal medal

If I remember correctly ElBarca insisted that the Ki-61-I-Hei weight was right. Had you forwarded the issue to the devs?

Sign in to follow this