Graphic

Dogfighting instructional videos

49 posts in this topic

Here are some very well done videos made by a gentle Australian man.

Now keep in mind that a lot of this doesn't really work like it should because of the current FMs making turn rate the only relevant attribute, but they should be helpful to some extent and much more helpful later as the game comes close to completion.

These are for Rise of Flight, a WW1 flight combat sim but the concepts are applicable to WW2. To put it another way, these are flight combat tutorials period, not Rise of Flight tutorials

<--- watch this to avoid the constant head on rams in WT

Type:

Note:

Add note Cancel

Some nice videos indeed. Been playing Rise of Flight for ages as well :)

Cobra 6

Type:

Note:

Add note Cancel

Nice videos, I wonder if the guy who made them is still active, it would be nice to have him here.

he still answers youtube comments, so hes still around.

Someone in a position to should offer him an invite

Type:

Note:

Add note Cancel

Nice videos, I wonder if the guy who made them is still active, it would be nice to have him here.

For sure he is active nowadays, his callsign is "Requiem" when i remember correctly and hes a famous pilot in Rise of Flight, flying with his squadron on the full realism server "Syndicate" at which whole historic air battles will get replayed !!

You should be able to meet him there, but first RoF is good bit harder to master as WT (for unmatched realism and for the fragile planes) and second you have usually to wait out of the gates to join, cuz the maximum number of participants is 64 and its most times full !!

This means, ALL 64 people are participating in the same air battle...

(at least all this was fact, when i flew last time RoF 2 or 3 months ago...)

Someone in a position to should offer him an invite

Those Guys would give all here around such a hard nut to crack that you would perhaps regret your wish soon :fed004:

Whoever tried to get a Fokker Dr.I at least a bit to do what you want her to do and watch those Guys later performing in Dogfights with such beasts, can only acknowledge that this is state of the art of virtual flying :01212:

Type:

Note:

Add note Cancel

I just want to mention, i found some more, These are from a world war two game.

Reversing a bounce

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkqPaAei0VQ

Energy cooperation

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrPkfgeYA0k

Head to head sideslip

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwTeBg2OgwY

Drag and bag

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ_1E39Cc2Q

Dicipline and restraint <- NEED MORE OF THIS

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJY-DnrTzgc

Defensive choices

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ2Zuy8i1SM

Boom and Zoom

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIz-3Wg7x_A

Rolling scissors

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKZNZF90k1k

Stall fighting

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGZc9UGshAo

Deflection gunnery <- Easier with the leading sight in arcade mode.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=STRJIUqRc7k

Type:

Note:

Add note Cancel

Yes, such as the head on... I find that the easiest way to do a good headon is to zero in on the target, and open fire at 1.5 miles. When i see their tracers i do a hard max displacement barrel roll followed by a hard turn to get on their tail. This is with mouse of course, with joystick, its hopeless to even try a head on.

Type:

Note:

Add note Cancel

Ah, silver hotdog. Been a long time since I first saw those, I learned a thing or two about shooting from watching them. Never saw him after I stopped playing on the Ace servers though, wonder if he still plays?

Type:

Note:

Add note Cancel

[quote name="Ataros" post="166977" timestamp="1359735160"]Another great tactics playlist [url=http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGgAGzRpZaTjTw_1eQr7YLzL2XKmluTtC]http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGgAGzRpZaTjTw_1eQr7YLzL2XKmluTtC[/url]   And BigSilverHotdog's channel [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/BigSilverHotdog/videos?flow=grid&view=0]http://www.youtube.com/user/BigSilverHotdog/videos?flow=grid&view=0[/url][/quote] That's the same list silentsub just posted. Loved all these videos though, anyone know of any others?

Type:

Note:

Add note Cancel

Yes i wish that someone would translate all these tactics into clips featuring War Thunder.

Type:

Note:

Add note Cancel

Not really that hard to apply those principles to WW2 combat. Infact, silentsub linked il2 vids which are ww2 combat oriented. Give them a shot.

Big Silver Hotdog still plays as of 5 months ago, can anyone send him a beta invite?

Type:

Note:

Add note Cancel

Nice topic and videos there from a really good sim, but in arcade sadly some of them are useless due to the over-strength of the rudders and arcade settings.

And that head-on video doesn't take into account 500-1000+ km/h closure rates which is non existant in a bi-plane vs bi-plane head on.

I want to see this guy go head on with a MIG15 vs ME163 and watch how well that rudder tactic works when the closure rate can possibly get as high as 1500-2000km/h

Type:

Note:

Add note Cancel

Check out BigSilverHotDog's Vid. It is called the sideslip. It has jet vs jet combat in it.

Only times I head on, I always use Sideslip and Disengage well before coming into close range

Type:

Note:

Add note Cancel

Head is ok (if it's really needed) mostly in WW1 because they are slower and they need to get closer with a weaker firepower (max 100-150meters)

I suggest avoiding it in WW2 at all costs (Fighter vs Fighter) (except your armament is superior than him) and if you can do it properly, you will get extra 1 sec to use it against him (with maneuvering first)

Basic idea is : give no chance to bandit to engage you.

Get him from his clear six.

Type:

Note:

Add note Cancel

Check out BigSilverHotDog's Vid. It is called the sideslip. It has jet vs jet combat in it.

Only times I head on, I always use Sideslip and Disengage well before coming into close range

Also called a skid, and is normally used as a long range defensive maneuver when an enemy is behind you without a great loss in speed.  But, causes the enemy to overshoot or undershoot you due to the difficulty in determining your plane's orientation.

I find people who use that tactic on me usually get shot down in head-ons.  So by all means use it... whatever works for you..... and me.  Not to mention it puts you in an incredibly bad situation defensively if you know how to counter it which there are multiple ways to counter that tactic and flip the fight around to your 6.

Type:

Note:

Add note Cancel