Sign in to follow this  
Udonge

Kill marks

So during WW2 pilots take down the enemies and they'll mark the kills on their plane.

But one thing confuses me: Where to put the kill marks.

Marseille put the kill mark on tail and McCampbell put the kill mark below canopy.

So is there any limit for the pilots to put the kill mark? Like the pilots can only put kill marks on a specific location on the aircraft?

medal

victory markings and bomber mission markings were on the left side for u.s. planes. the luftwaffe fighter pilots put victory markings on the rudder or vertical stabilizer, usually on the left side, once in a while a pilot would do a mirror image thing on both sides of the rudder. i believe the japanese put their markings on the vertical stabilizer or the rear fuselage. finnish pilots used the left side of the vertical stabilizer. i don't know where the soviets, italian, british or french pilots put their markings.

Btw, I wonder If we ever get proper kill markings for Luftwaffe. We dont have such bars in game right now, or am I just blind?

184926d1322593994t-gallands-bf-109s-gall

• Upvote 2
medal

Soon™ we will get the ''nose art'' from the Decal competition, 1 for each country (US get 2),
We will have a german one like the one on ur pic, but no kill bar.
I agree that it would be nice to have the germans 'bars' too, with different allied logo.

medal medal medal

@Elika:

It's hard to make absolute statements on that topic. In many cases it was down to squadron or wing level regulations

medal medal

Btw, I wonder If we ever get proper kill markings for Luftwaffe. We dont have such bars in game right now, or am I just blind?

Funny thing is that many Allied pilot puts swastikas and we can't mimic it in game.

Soviet pilot were using red stars to mark victories.

Also is worth to mention that sometimes kill marks were painted to plane on which those were scored by different pilots.

medal

I believe if it was your ship you had carte blanche to put whatever marking you liked wherever you liked, providing it was a truthful and honest  representation. For sure there were conventions though.

Sign in to follow this