Casimir

[Wiki] Using TrackIR or FreeTrack with Warthunder

290 posts in this topic

Hello People

This Thread is dedicated to making Warthunder work with FaceTrackNoIR, TrackIR or Freetrack.

FaceTrackNoIR (Recommended!) (Link)

Use may use this software for tracking:

- your beautifull face only

- your selfbuild IR-antlers

- a bought TrackIR-Device (you could use the provided software as well though)

1.) Just install the most up to date Software. (1.7 (as of 18.03.2013))
2.) Copy "tirviews.dll" to your Facetrack-folder. You may get it from an installation of the TrackIR-Software
3.) Restart Facetrack
4.) Click "Settings" -> Check "Use tirviews.dll". Choose "Freetrack 2.0" as game-protocoll. (TrackIR first, Freetrack hide)
5.) Make sure, tracking is working for you by watching the video feed with the yellow marker. (You may have to approach your camera until the tracking starts to work)

6.) You may not be able to setup an axis for the headtracking device. Just start a testflight and try it. It will work fine.

7.) Adjust your curves setup to your need. (I will post my working settings when i come home)

- Start game in windowed moded. Start a testflight. Stay on the airfield.

- Alt-Tab to Facetrack. Place the FT-Window, so you can see the WT-window in the background. Do all the adjustments while seeing the effect directly ingame.

- Click on "Curves"

- Limit Pitch to maximum of 90 degrees (Or screen will shake ingame). Add a small deadzone.

- Limit Yaw to maximum of 180 degrees. Add a small deadzone.

- Disable Roll

- Disable Pitch down

- Click on Translate

- Add a medium deadzone for x- and y-axis. Add limits to your needs.

- You may or may not disable z-axis (it's the zoom) as you see fit.

TrackIR (NaturalPoint)
1.) Just install the most up to date Software. If you experience input lag, try an older version of the Software. (For example Version 4.1.038 - Final)
2.) After you install WarThunder you need to go into the TrackIR program and click on the top left corner button and then "Check for game updates."
3.) Run the Control-Setup-Wizard. You may need to use "simplified" or "full". Answer "yes" when asked for using a headtracker.
4.) You may not be able to setup an axis for the headtracking device. Just start a testflight and try it. It will work fine.
5.) Here is a

, explaining how to setup TrackIR.

FreeTrack (Not longer recommended; no more updates) (Homepage)

1.) Build your own FreeTrack - Headtracking - Device (3-point-cap may be suited best imho)
2.) Install the Freetrack-Software
3.) Copy "HaikuIni" (Link from the Internetz) to your Freetrack-Programfolder (For example: c:\programs\freetrack) overwriting (backup before) the old one.
4.) Go to your Freetrack-Folder. Rightclick your freetrack.exe and check "Run program as administrator".
5.) Go to your Warthunder-Folder. Rightclick the aces.exe and check "Run program as administrator". Make sure to get the real file and not the launcher.
6.) Close both programs.
7.) Restart Freetrack. Make sure, everything is working fine (look at hte freetrack-forum for support if needed)
8.) Now start Warthunder. You should get a message from Freetrack like "New Game detected. Please enter a name" or something like that. Enter a name (ex.: Warthunder).
9.) Run the Control-Setup-Wizard. You may need to use "simplified" or "full". Answer "yes" when asked for using a headtracker.
10.) You may not be able to setup an axis for the headtracking device. Just start a testflight and try it. It will work fine.
(11.)If it does not work: Try to use a more up to date "tirviews.dll" (Copy it to your freetrack-Folder)

Tips for setting up your controlls ingame:
- You may want to disable mouseview completely, so it does not interfere with your settings.
- For best results setup a small deadzone followed by a long linear space up to 180° You should not need to turn your head more than 2 to 4 cm.
- For an overview on cameras take a look here. (Freetrack Homepage)

Known Problems:
- My view is way off center after being shot down or switching views! (TrackIR / FT)

-> Unbind mouseview in the controll-options (works) or put the 'Default view' ingame-keybind on the same button as your 'center-view' keybind from FT / TrackIR. (may not work)

- I started a testflight, but tracking does not work!

- Quit Warthunder

- Check if Tracker-Software is activated and working (do you see movement in the preview-window?)

- Restart Warthund with Admin-Rights (may need to be done a few times)

- My PS3-Eye camera only works with 25-30 fps

Solution thx to FaceTrack. Copied for convenience only.

Be aware, that while using the FaceTrack protocoll, the resolution is set fix to 640x480, resulting in a 56 or 60 Fps maximum. This does not apply to the IR-Tracking protocoll.

The PS3 Eye camera was designed for gaming and for that purpose, it can give up to 120 fps. However when the Code Laboratories driver is used it normally operates in 'basic' mode, which will max. at 30fps. If you want, you can switch the driver into advanced mode this way:

- Create a file called cleye.config in the program-folder of FaceTrackNoIR (the one with with the .EXE in it);

- Enter this text in the file and save it:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<cleye>
<item name="mode" value="advanced" />
</cleye>

- Run FaceTrackNoIR; You should keep in mind that a higher framerate will also require more CPU-power. We only recommend it for faster gaming-machines (quad-core or higher). We would appreciate any feedback from users, who have tried this...

(If you like this thread, please click the "+1"-button on the left :-) )

Casimir

Edited by Casimir

Thanks m8 - only question - is there a cheaper way of getting TrackIR somewhere? I am walking catastrophy when it comes to build something more complicated than PC, so I wont be able to build Free Track device.

Best price I found in my country is 4800 CZK = 236 USD = 191 EUR.

I want it really bad, coz flying in cockpit view without that is madness...yet its little too much for me right now.

Cart I live 40 miles from where they make the bugger, let me know I could pick one up and ship it to ya( since our money aint worth sht no more may be cheaper that way) we should talk

TrackIR 5 working perfectly here. Tried all the tier 1-5 fighters so far, no problems except I can stick my head through the glass a little bit. I don't know if it's intentional.

Cart I live 40 miles from where they make the bugger, let me know I could pick one up and ship it to ya( since our money aint worth sht no more may be cheaper that way) we should talk

If you have any contact with them, ask them to make that flimsy trackclip pro sturdier please :p

Seconded, but I was told Naturalpoint is aware of the problem already. =^)

If you have any contact with them, ask them to make that flimsy trackclip pro sturdier please :p

Carthoo: It's really no skill involved with building your own headtracker. Material sums up to 5-10€ ... 40€ If you need to buy a webcam and a soldering iron starter kit. I did it in one hour with no soldering experience except for torturing ants as a little boy ;-p

And with the PS3-Eye webcam you have stable 75-150 fps, depending on your chosen resolution, leading to a very smooth and immersive experience.

Yeah, but dont forget to mention, that you only have one dimension with only one led. No Looking up and down and no head movement inside the cockpit. Just looking around on the x-axis.

It's not bad, but as it is soooo easy to solder two more leds in your hat, i wouldnt recommend the one-led solution.

Yeah, but dont forget to mention, that you only have one dimension with only one led. No Looking up and down and no head movement inside the cockpit. Just looking around on the x-axis.

It's not bad, but as it is soooo easy to solder two more leds in your hat, i wouldnt recommend the one-led solution.

Not quite right . ;)wop You can combine two head move dimension with one freetrack axis. I have Yaw and and head move X in the same freetrack axis( but dtifferent sensitivity) . When I look right my head also moves (little) right so when I look right back I look behind pilot's chair. Same with Pich and Y. It's more natural to me than 3 point reversed view when you look back. :01212:

Additional i like to add FacetrackNoIr

My Son uses it, http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/home/default.htm

Works with a webcam, and works with Warthunder too!

There is a list of supported Webcams, give it a try Gents, its a cheap version of Trackir at the end...

<S>

I have a fully operating Track IR5 that has been good to me in Il-2 ,RoF & CloD,but it doesn't seem to operate here in WarThunder.I am a complete noobie here so there might be an activator I've simply overlooked.I have a FFB stick which I've programmed thru the full program option & I have seen a TrcIR option with Mouse buttons as well , but I haven't got the darn thing working no matter what i try.Can you help?

I can't even get Facetracknoir to even track my head movements. Can anyone help? Nevermind I got it working, but now it seems to be extremely sensitive.

I have a fully operating Track IR5 that has been good to me in Il-2 ,RoF & CloD,but it doesn't seem to operate here in WarThunder.I am a complete noobie here so there might be an activator I've simply overlooked.I have a FFB stick which I've programmed thru the full program option & I have seen a TrcIR option with Mouse buttons as well , but I haven't got the darn thing working no matter what i try.Can you help?

I have a Saitek X52 Pro and fully operation Track IR 5 , also newbie here, and after going through the Trac IR Option and enabling it nothing happens at all.

- First of all, did you try it ingame after the setup wizard was completed? There is no other sign of it working, except that it IS working.

- Did you start the game with admin-privileges?

- Which Version of the Software did you install? Sometimes it only works with the most up to date sowftware.

@kulden:

-> for best results implement a medium to large deadzone followed by a linear increase up to 180°.

Same for translation.

You may have to fiddle with the sensitivity until it fits your needs. I personally like to have to move my head more to come complete around ... but that way i can better stop at the angles inbetween 0 and 180°

- First of all, did you try it ingame after the setup wizard was completed? There is no other sign of it working, except that it IS working.

- Did you start the game with admin-privileges?

- Which Version of the Software did you install? Sometimes it only works with the most up to date sowftware.

tried all this , nothing worked , do I have to deavtivate the mouse for view control? dont remember exactly but setup wiizard gives an options before asking for Track IR activation.

I find the setup wizzard not very intuitive

I use the latest Track IR 5 software

OK - any tips how to make War Thunder work with FaceTrackNoIR?

I got Facetrack working (tracking) but I cannot get along with War Thunder.

Of course I runed Wizard, and choosed that I have TrackIR - but without any effect.

What am I missing?

3.) Copy "HaikuIni" (Link from the Internetz) to your Freetrack-Programfolder (For example: c:\programs\freetrack) overwriting (backup before) the old one.

11.) If it does not work: Try to use a more up to date "tirviews.dll" (Copy it to your freetrack-Folder)

Did you try this? Admin mode for both exes?