Should the top BR Leclercs receive a better top munition choice? [POLL]

Im all for the Leclercs getting a much needed buff.

But I wish the same amount of attention could be brought to France’s complete lack of light tanks/IFV at top tier

9 Likes

Well, to be fair, you are mixing lots of different stuff as apples and oranges.

Realism/historical accuracy when it comes to technical specs has no relation whatsoever with mechanics that were avoided (such as mechanical failures) for game design reasons; let alone stuff like repair times, etc.

Wanting vehicles to be accurate representations of their real life counterparts doesn’t mean you should take 2 hours to repair a track, not at all.

Damage models are more detailed and realistic than any other war machinery game. It may have issues, but they are always working on polishing it as much as possible.

Again, historical matchmaking is a whole different matter compared to vehicle technical specs.

In general, War Thunder’s main goal when it comes to vehicles is to depict them as close as possible to their real life counterparts. While reloads may be a soft balance parameter, they are all still within realistic values (except for the very exceptional case of the Stürmtiger because otherwise you would only be able to fire once a match).

When I play Leclerc, I want to feel that it’s ACTUALLY a Leclerc, and same goes for Abrams, Leopard, etc. otherwise, anyone can make a game with fake tanks made up only for gameplay purposes; War Thunder is supposed to be a collection of replicas.

That being said, I guess I wouldn’t mind DM53 too much, since it’s a “soft” inaccuracy, contrary to a “hard inaccuracy” such as armor.

Let’s say a war breaks out against Russia. TECHNICALLY, France could be supplied with DM53 if SHARD wasn’t ready (for example, if the fictional war broke out in 2015), since F1 could be considered insufficient even back then.

So, while unhistorical, it’s not entirely unrealistic.

3 Likes

Absolutely correct,you maybe see a Leclerc once every 5 matches?that tank is rare,even tho it’s not an event vehicle lmao

6 Likes

I think a complete armor rework and also adding the shard would be a good idea. Go ahead and do the same for Ariete while your at it.

2 Likes

I used those as a general thing. Both historical accuracy, and realism.

That is just flat out false. GHPC exists.

Yeah, that’s why a 155mm proxy HE exploding 3m from a plane gets you a “hit”, while 30mm HE overpressures the Object 279 (you know, the tank designed for nuclear war), volumetric eating DM53 in the side of a Panther, solidshot/APCR phasing through modules/crew members without doing any damage. And the list goes on for long.
All these have been in the game for years, and they are still as crap as they were when first introduced.

So an Ontos, on full move can reload 6 recoilless rifles by a single crew members in 13s, while the italian pizza car can do the same, but reload a single gun in 10s…
Or a 15cm Pz.W.42 doing the same, reloading 10 pieces of 15cm rockets in 18s…

Modern stuff is even worse, since many components are classified, so the devs have to guess a bunch of things.
There have been leaks for very minor things in the past, because Gaijin’s guess was not correct on parts that are classified.

It can fire it - there is no problem.

Do you have any evidence, that T-54s were issued with BR-412, 412B, 412D, 412P, 3BM-8, but not with 3BM25? Because it is hard to believe me, that all of those shells were used on T-54s, except for the dart.

Casually waiting for the roland to actually be able to look up… Along with a line up to play with it XD

1 Like

I will be completely honest; I would rather take a rate of fire increase than a new shell.

But since Gaijin seems so reluctant to do this… why not give this a try, hahah.

2 Likes

Personally i’d live to see Gaijin fixing the reload and bugs rather than introducing a new APFSDS, but as you said, Gaijin seems to be reluctant on doing this- as a result it is fair to try to ask for a better shell in the meanwhile they realize if they want to fix other issues or not.

3 Likes

I was asked to post this, so don’t ask me questions about it, cause I can’t answer them:

Shard Mk 1
L/44 = 1660m/s
L/52 = 1720m/s
L/55 = 1740m/s

“My personal estimation is that it features 775mm long WHA penetrator and when it’s shot from French L/52 gun, it has 1720m/s muzzle velocity.”

Estimated Penetration from L/52

720-722mm @ 0m (0)
422mm @ 0m (60)
668-670mm @ 2000m (0)
390-391mm @ 2000m (60)
:::
720mm penetration if its 23mm avg. diameter, 722mm of its 24mm
775 x 23mm WHA = 5.64kg penetrator
775 x 24mm WHA = 6.14kg penetrator

2 Likes

Lol, Laurelix.

Now that Leclerc has got its proper rate of fire, I believe it may be enough of an improvement in the firepower department!

I would 100% give SHARD to Leclerc XLR, though; and maybe to S.XXI too.

Now, when it comes to the ingame Leclercs, I believe the prime priorities should be armor fixes and mobility improvements.

2 Likes

its had the same rounds for about 4 years +

Well, it’s not like they’ve had any better in real life either.

Only now they are about to put SHARD in service. until now, F1 and F1B (gameplay wise identical AFAIK) have been the rounds Leclerc has used.

I think a fully fixed Leclerc would be more than perfectly fine, even with F1!

Maybe give SHARD to XLR, though, for it to feel like the apex it’s meant to be.

we could also get a better round with l’terminateur

That’s why I stopped playing Leclerc. Against the legions of Leopard 2 and T80-90, it penetrates nothing.

Face to face while the Gaijin ballistic simulator accepts the penetration of Leclerc’s fleche shells in a few places of the Russian or German armor, in games it transforms into “non-penetration” and ricochet" in the same affected places.

On the other hand, an enemy arrow shell fired from the front passes through the Leclerc from side to side and in addition a shower of shrapnel is capable of killing the entire crew, systematically destroying the breech or causing the fuel to explode.

While the penetrating power is the same.

Conversely, when you attack from the flank with the leclerc, its shell penetrates but only weakens (without necessarily destroying) what it hits directly. So you have to fire one shell per crew member.

So if gaijin puts a new, more armor-piercing shell, it will be the same in game as now.

It’s why the games in BR11.7 are played 80% by leopard and T80.

And then we can compare the equipment of a Leclerc S1 in BR11.7 against the T90M also in BR11.7 we see that the Leclerc is only there to serve as a target exercice.

example :
Native 360° ERA + still improving ERA, targeting detector, roof machine gun, Commander HD thermal camera.
If we add the armor, then I don’t see how the Leclerc s1 can be faced with a t90M in the game, even against a T90A (BR10.7) it is less well equipped.