119 replies to this topic

#101 ShaiDorsai

ShaiDorsai

Warrant officer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:07 PM

At 64, I thought I was among the oldest playing. I see now that there's old and then there are..... distinguished elders...lol.

#102 Maurice_Goulois

Maurice_Goulois

Corporal

• Ground Forces Tester
  • Pip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:24 PM

Makes me feel a baby now at 52 (+1 next week :), hopefully tanks will be one of the gifts :))

We've been witnesses of the computing era baby steps, and hope to continue to be astonished by the wonders to come.

Edited by Maurice_Goulois, 31 October 2013 - 04:27 PM.

#103 Flak147127

Flak147127

Pilot officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:02 PM

Youngster of 41 here, retired war vet with nothing more clever to do if my kid ain't around; discovered comp. games round 13-14 years ago, and can say they kept me out of some serious and real problems since I spend my time playing them, instead of doing much stupider things with my life.

But still, have the same "problem" bout "you're to old to play games" thingy. Solution for that ancient "problem" stays the same as always: talk to my hand, cause my head isn't listening.

Respect to young, younger and youngest "Bobdees", "Scarpers", "b757s", "Maurice_Gs" and all the other "to old to play games" folks out there.

It's your life, you're not hurting anyone, you're not spending more than you can while tearing out the catwalks, pubs or bars, you're alive and doing what you love to do.

Who has a problem with that - that's in fact their "problem", ain't it?

Smiley just for Bobdee: pinki2.gif

Edited by Flak147127, 31 October 2013 - 05:06 PM.

You CAN NOT do it. In the meanwhile, I'm playing game with Tanks again, thank you very much. u8p8.png4i51.png If you find it difficult to hold the banner of integrity, plug it into the ground where our bones are resting - we will hold it for you

#104 Malignancy

Malignancy

Recruit

• Members
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:49 PM

The r/c model in the one picture. Flying that, this guy's pro level. Only someone with a LOT of experience would fly an rc that detailed etc.. I envy him. The time I tried to fly an r/c airplane (trainer I bought), I drilled it into the ground in about 30 seconds  (so much for r/c trainers automatically righting themselves if you take your hands off the controls like the manufacturer said).

#105 shizzles

shizzles

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 Thanks

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:33 PM

Nice read. I'll bite my tongue from now as i am one of those "pasionate ones" that takes this game way too serious. Although i only did it when i was subjected to wingtip smoke and a victory roll after i crash on purpose to take out tanks.

I started flight sims with fighter ace when it came out on the, now defunct, MSN Gaming Zone. Moved on to European Air War, The Mighty Eighth and MS' CFS. Then i tried jets with Falcon and Janes USAF which was a blast. Now it's WT. I love flight sims as my parents are pilots and i am a halfway decent player although flying with a stick in this game is a chore so i dont. It really would be nice to even things out between the stick users and the mouse users as mouse users do have a distinct advantage.

#106 nononanette

nononanette

Recruit

• Members
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:46 PM

nice bio of scraper..but since i'm  80 i feel he is a little young..... 

#107 Scarper

Scarper

Marshal of the Air Force

• Community Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 Thanks

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:23 PM

nice bio of scraper..but since i'm  80 i feel he is a little young..... 

:salute:  Apologies, but we know very little about you, contact me on a PM please. By the way, it's not me, it's my Father - Bobdee - . Thank you.

#108 BullshotCrummond

BullshotCrummond

Recruit

• Members
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:04 PM

G'Day

I noticed that the post mentioned sight problems, I too suffer from poor vision now. I got around it by connecting my PC to my television , plus as a bonus I get to sit in a comfy chair :-). I am 50, just.No military service but a keen intrest in History.

I can not agree more about how nasty some players get but as to that being related to taking the game too seriously I am not so sure. I feel it has more to do with the annonimity of the internet and the attitude in society today that winning is more important. I personally play for fun,allthough must admit to taking great pleasure in shooting down higher level planes in a Fury !

Keep flying all

Bullshot Crummond

#109 ProperBurial

ProperBurial

Corporal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:35 AM

There is really no shame to have passion.

#110 Jyd

Jyd

Recruit

• Members
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:44 PM

Great article, I want to thank Bobdee and all those that served for there service. :salute:  At 63 I am still a pup compared to Bobdee but I love this game also.

#111 Mark_H

Mark_H

Corporal

• Alpha Tester
  • Pip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:38 PM

Great article.

I'm a youthful 42, so pale in comparison to many posting on here, but I;ve been a gamer since my little tiny years (ZX-81 with 3D Monster Maze anyone?)

Being in the same Squadron / Clan, I've played many a game with Bob, and he's fine team-mate, witty company, and a gent in every way he conducts himself.  I hope he can long continue to be an inspiration to myself & others in his approach to playing the game with style & impeccable good grace... and always, always having fun.

And a personal hat tip from me to him & all you other 'mature' flyers and gamers out there - its great to see so many of us staying so passionate about something for so long, and I'd love to think we can all help inspire the following generations of players in some small way by setting such a wonderful example.

alpha_sign_2.png

#112 IzCokeMocha

IzCokeMocha

Aircraftman

• Ground Forces Tester
  • Pip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:51 PM

Yep. Agree with everything

#113 nononanette

nononanette

Recruit

• Members
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:38 AM

scarper: sorry i misunderstood who was father(Bobdee) and who son(scarper). my bad as the grandkids say..I am not looking to put my self in the limelight. just pointing out that age is not a deterrent to playing online games .. i also play WOT and will try WT when the tanks come on line.. i'm sure that a lot of over 80 players are in these games.. Live long and prosper...nononanette

ps. if i knew how to 'PM' i would.... :facepalm:

#114 Scarper

Scarper

Marshal of the Air Force

• Community Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 Thanks

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:48 AM

Top of forum, little picture of an envelope, click it, send a message from in there, just Type the users forum name. Ill send you one, hopefully you will get a notification.

#115 Totalhalifax

Totalhalifax

Recruit

• Members
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:10 PM

it could only be bob couldn't it, it's an honour flying with people like him and scarper

#116 Grete_Gollob

Grete_Gollob

Corporal

• Ground Forces Tester
  • Pip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:37 AM

:salute:  i think this this will do.

Edited by TrueCalamity, 04 November 2013 - 11:57 AM.

WT_sig777_zps63d087bd.jpgWT_sig244_zps7ed4a635.jpgWT_sig819_zps35ad1378.jpg

#117 Badballie1

Badballie1

Squadron leader

• Ground Forces Tester
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11 Thanks

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

They keep saying games are what kids do but if there's something I've learned while playing online games, it's that there's oldtimers who like playing too.
I used to play WoT actively in a clan and the oldest guys in our group had been in Vietnam. Some folks scoff games and gaming but I think games like this are a great way to bring the younger and older guys together, guys who share common interests but might not have a chance to meet and discuss otherwise.
It only gets better when you really form up into groups and get to talk and hear stories.

I'm also officially jealous, I wish I could play with my dad too!

Cheers for the interview!

edit: and when I say guys, I mean people! Girls play too. Now we just need a story about the mom who plays War Thunder! :p

In a lot of ways its true (They keep saying games are what kids do), its just some of us "kids" are older than other's.

Bobdee, I salute you Sir!

I just hope I can still see well enough to play when I'm your age.

PPMlint.gif  ADMlint.gif SAAF :-  1985 - 1994 (served with Pride)

#118 Rekojem

Rekojem

Aircraftman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:59 PM

Great post and I hope to fly with him some day. I couldn't agree more "its just a game" " mind your language and keep it clean" I feel much better now seeing there are many older players who love this game. I was beginning to think I should get a life :-)

YiOLSBO.jpg

#119 Vitaly_Andersson

Vitaly_Andersson

Skybound they roam

• Ground Forces Tester
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8 Thanks

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:28 PM

Has your dad ever been.

Gaijin'd?

'Are you ready to die for your country Taffy? Will you have it in flames or in pieces?' Edward Mannock 

wtcb.png

#120 BalDaddy

BalDaddy

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:18 PM

I think us old farts should set up our on Squadron and show these young whippersnappers a thing or two; as long as we can have plenty of toilet breaks and don't nod off whilst waiting for a game in queue.

(I thought we English were the only ones who did queuing?)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users