10 replies to this topic

#1 Reagalan

Reagalan

Flight lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7 Thanks

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:21 AM

There are some tests made for pure curiosity, and this is one of them. I've flown this thing a few times and thought it was pretty underrated, a gem in the muck. Now, the LaGG-3 was considered a bad plane because of it's wood construction, bad handling, and shoddy inconsistent quality.. Since this is a game, all quality is all the same, the instructor negates most of the bad handling, and wood construction is more widely considered a gift from Stalin himself, leaving an okay plane. Level speed is great and firepower is amazing, but the climb rate is quite bad and the redline fairly low. Vertical dives are particularly dangerous as the plane is very heavy and accelerates very well in a dive, so you can hit the red quite quickly and won't be able to pull out until it's too late.

There's also a strange problem with turning when below 300m, the plane goes wild and the instructor goes nuts trying to correct it. Really screws the turn time.

nFCmSpv.gif

ECO2TC5.gif

ouH3Bu9.gif

1d2hjJk.gif

VREk2F0.gif

More tests can be found here:

http://forum.warthun...formance-index/

#2 i_ivanof

i_ivanof

The Great Comrade

• WTPC Support
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 Thanks

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:07 AM

soo, it turns like a heavy fighter, has the speed of a biplane and the climbrate of a bomber.....

no thanks

GLORIOUS INGENIOUS PAPER PLANES > BORING COMMON CRAP THAT FLEW IN REAL LIFE

#3 Trilandian

Trilandian

Chronic Malcontent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 Thanks

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:21 AM

soo, it turns like a heavy fighter, has the speed of a biplane and the climbrate of a bomber.....

no thanks

It's speed is fine for tier 3, and don't forget the nose cannon. I'm fairly confident in my ability to take out a P-40 when flying a LaGG.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 RAMJB

RAMJB

Air marshal

• WTPC Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 Thanks

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:14 AM

LaGG3 initial series had problems breaking 470kph at sea level. And most of them were nowhere close to that because of horrid manufacturing and poor quality of materials, a good number of them being on the verge of being unfliable.

The plane is seriously overperforming at the moment in speed and, yes, even climbrate, as the initial batches of the LaGG3 could barely break the 10m/s mark (and that in well manufactured planes- which were rare) yet the plane can climb quite better than that. If you know how to use this plane the only thing that matters is that it can outrun almost anything it finds. Mix it with a very heavy weaponry for a level 3 (Shvak 20mm cannon at that level is tremendous firepower) and a massive diving acceleration and you have a hit-and-run wonder.

This plane should be a complete stinker (the real life one was, after all) but instead what we have is a true BnZ monster for the level it sits at.

Thankfully almost noone knows how to use it, even more at the low levels it sees. The fact that on top of seriously overperforming the plane is sitting at level 3 while it's contemporary (the Bf109F4) is a level 8 makes its matchmaking even worse.

Edited by RAMJB, 10 October 2013 - 10:23 AM.

Mr. Runaway & Pathos - the one and only.
Ramjb's youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ramjb

#5 RAMJB

RAMJB

Air marshal

• WTPC Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 Thanks

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:30 AM

pic_71.jpg

the in-game LaGG3-8 should perform more or less according to the one in the third row from the top. And that's test data, not performance from frontline fighters (which was much poorer, with reports of pilots complaining the planes being as much as 30kph slower than what they were supposed to be)

Even the prototype of the La5 (a LaGG3 with a M82 engine) couldn't break 515kph@sea level. In game even the first LaGG3 can do so.

Also take notice of the times to climb, and relate them to the in-game performance analysis seen in the OP. The in-game plane reaches 5000m in 60% of the time it took the real plane to do so.

Brutally overperforming, massively undertiered, with a pilot who understands hit and run tactics this plane is the most dominant one in it's tier range.

Edited by RAMJB, 10 October 2013 - 10:36 AM.

Mr. Runaway & Pathos - the one and only.
Ramjb's youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ramjb

#6 GrapeJam

GrapeJam

Air marshal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 Thanks

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:29 PM

Undertiered overperforming Russian plane.

I'm shocked!

#7 Tarskin

Tarskin

Mad Scientist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8 Thanks

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

LaGG3's being higher than me are the only thing that scares me in my favorite HB toy (The He112-A0), luckily.... the current HB puts Germany with Russia so I don't have to worry about them ;)

My kidney(s) for a Fokker D.XXI or Koolhoven FK.58

308w7t4.jpg

#8 RainbowToh

RainbowToh

Air commodore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 Thanks

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:44 PM

I will be sad when it gets fixed then. A lot of over performing low tier planes that escaped the community's notice :D The p36 as well.

Edited by RainbowToh, 10 October 2013 - 02:45 PM.

505c12b8483c36c259e51f418416b879.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/hippoace <-- Check out my War Thunder vids!

#9 ComradeSalzy

ComradeSalzy

Pilot officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 Thanks

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:11 PM

no thanks

Speed of T6 bf 109 E-3 and climb of T12 FW190F-8 you mean

You must master the sword, before the fish - CherryBlossom                   "That thing was too big to be called a plane. Too big, too thick, too heavy and too rough, it was more like a large hunk of stalinwood" (Me about TB-3)                                                                                                                             
SmDuy1S.png  11w7aes.jpg

#10 AgentOfBolas

AgentOfBolas

Air marshal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 Thanks

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:59 PM

From what I remember Lagg3 is quite nice plane to play.

It's advantages are quite visible, it's good all around plane armed with cannon on low tier.

Besides, Lagg3 were quite bad planes in reality, lacking especially in terms of engine power. I think that they are quite OK in-game, at least I liked mine.

On the other hand, go try out FRB - all planes are playable there.

KhorneLord2Bar.jpg

#11 Ioshic

Ioshic

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:48 PM

pic_71.jpg

the in-game LaGG3-8 should perform more or less according to the one in the third row from the top. And that's test data, not performance from frontline fighters (which was much poorer, with reports of pilots complaining the planes being as much as 30kph slower than what they were supposed to be)

Even the prototype of the La5 (a LaGG3 with a M82 engine) couldn't break 515kph@sea level. In game even the first LaGG3 can do so.

Also take notice of the times to climb, and relate them to the in-game performance analysis seen in the OP. The in-game plane reaches 5000m in 60% of the time it took the real plane to do so.

Brutally overperforming, massively undertiered, with a pilot who understands hit and run tactics this plane is the most dominant one in it's tier range.

Very very interesting document there....

mon0.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users