31 replies to this topic

#1 AngryCustard

AngryCustard

Recruit

• Members
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:46 AM

Hey All

I have just started playing War Thunder, I've got aound 10 hours in game now, played German to level 5 and Russian to level 3.  I have found that I am not a fan of bombing, but I really enjoy dog fighting and strafing ground targets with/rockets/guns.  What country has the best fighters for dog fighting?  Is there a country with good dog fighting that has some ground strafe capabilities?

Cheers

AC

#2 Reuter

Reuter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 Thanks

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:51 AM

I'd say the brits have pretty good dogfighters. The Spitfire II in particular is one hell of a machine and the Hurricane MK II and Typhoons can be equipped with rockets and bombs.

The japanese also excel in turnfighting but are somewhat harder to fly since all of the Zeros are overtiered and are very prone to fire.

NgOYjfY.gif

RIP Mio Akiyama

#3 GunRall

GunRall

Wing Commander

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:55 AM

I'd say the brits have pretty good dogfighters. The Spitfire II in particular is one hell of a machine and the Hurricane MK II and Typhoons can be equipped with rockets and bombs.

The japanese also excel in turnfighting but are somewhat harder to fly since all of the Zeros are overtiered and are very prone to fire.

Yep this.  I just got done posting something in another thread about the British lack of a go to bomber for end of match arcade usage but the Japanese do have several viable options with the Kates, Betty and Donyrus.  The British Typhoons can carry bombs and they can get the Hellcat but other than that and the Havok (which can't get a pillbox) they have no viable options (and I'm not counting the slow moving brick torch Wellies either)

#4 maniacal

maniacal

I saw a long ship made of the claws of dead men.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15 Thanks

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:34 AM

I'd have to agree that the British sound like a good match for you. And you have the added bonus of them being very front loaded. Meaning that they get some fantastic planes right off the bat. At level 5-6 you will be dominating with Spitfires, Beaufighters, and the two premium Boomerangs (get those, they are so worth it). 

They also have good planes in higher tiers too. All the Spitfires are good for dog fighting. I like them better than the Japanese because they have a little more speed and are still very maneuverable.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5 AngryCustard

AngryCustard

Recruit

• Members
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:46 AM

Do the british have anything for ground attack runs/strafing runs?

#6 ChineseCheese

ChineseCheese

Recruit

• Members
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:03 AM

The beaufighters hit ground targets pretty hard, plus they can carry torpedoes. The Typhoons aren't bad either

#7 GunRall

GunRall

Wing Commander

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:05 AM

Nothing that will drop a pillbox other than a Wellington or that premium Hellcat.  Beaufighters can be used with rockets(edit: and torpedoes) in that role and the Mosquito at tier 12 carries bombs.  The Beaufort and Blenheim carry bombs but imho they aren't heavy enough.  The Hurricanes can carry bombs or rockets and the Typhoon bombs but again, neither carries anything heavy enough imho.

#8 Nacht_

Nacht_

Dunning–Kruger effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 Thanks

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:29 AM

British, or Russians. Most of the Russian fighters are fairly manouvarable and can equip rockets.  And the IL-2 can actually outturn some fighters while carrying bombs and rockets.

N3EuM2d.png

RIP in kill MG 17 & E-1

#9 EnsoZero

EnsoZero

Officer cadet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2 Thanks

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:18 AM

The Americans might work for you, the Naval fighter line (F6F and F4U in particular) are great for going after ground targets as they have large bomb loadouts and planes that are pretty good in one on one engagements, not necessarily turn fighting but in maneuvers. The A-20G is also one of the best ground attack planes in the game, very fast (too fast) and hyper resistant to damage.

Good people drink good beer.

-Hunter S Thompson

#10 _Grimlocke_

_Grimlocke_

Warrant officer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

If you love to mix things up a bit, play both bombers and fighters, you will be greatly disappointed with brits. They are the only nation currently lacking more bombloads on fighters (like usa or ger), have no fast attackers/light bombers like havoc or su's and their bombers are just.. miserable. Blenheim and Beaufort are alright (worst bombload options in the game for pure bombers tho) until level 7, then you get a welly which is a miserable flying brick that gets one-shotted pretty damn frequently. Higher level wellies have zero differences from tier 7 ones, no better armor, more speed, more manouverability.. nothing. So much for historical accuracy.

If you are looking for dogfighting, you will enjoy brits on lower tiers. Spit mk II and I are both decent for their tiers, hurricane is a good starting plane, first beaufighter is amazing (just beware of bugged hispanos, use ground attack rounds and be prepared to blow more rounds into enemy planes then usually required). Tier 7 typhoon is just crap for arcade, a bnz plane outclassed in everything by 109's, and if you ever decide to turnfight, you will get dropped from the sky in an instant by 95% other planes.

Only good thing wellies and typhoon have atm is.. reward. 150% on first two wellies, 100% on typhoon. When patch hits, that will get hugely reduced, so no one will fly wellies anymore, and typhoons with new FM's might get alright in HB's (if they ever fix MM so its actually worth queuing) and well.. you are forced to buy them if you want to get to tempest, which is supposedly going to be an alright plane for HB (not yet confirmed). If you are a strictly arcade player, you might want to save lions and avoid that column past hurricane mk ii.

For a new player, germans and russians are a lot more friendly then other nations, americans as well to an extent. Most of their planes have nose-mounted guns, meaning cheap and easy aiming without much skill required, while with americans you will have to learn how to properly align you wings with the target (until we get gun convergence in arcade) and how to lead it. Also, you get amazing fast and manouverable bombers, attackers and so on.

Brits atm seem very.. unfinished. But are they playable? Yes, absolutely, just it might not be as enjoyable as other nations.

#11 Waagabond

Waagabond

Corporal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

You must get the Japanese KI-43, tier 2. That will not take long time.

Its just so much fun to drive. Gives you a good idea about the japanese as well.

Overall, I say Brits as others, atleast for the lower tiers.

The US also have great dog fighters. The Corsairs later for example, and earlier then that also. For Mid tier planes, US have better planes then the brits. Corsairs, the Cobras.

Russians have generally great planes, not always the best but in some tiers they are.

Lagg 35 is by far the best tier 3 plane in the game.

LA-5 is by far the best tier 11 plane in the game.

The Mig-15 Jet tier 20, is in another dimension compared to other countries Jets.

So all in all, low tier, mid tier and top tier, Russians have the best planes.

They also have the absolute best bombers in the YER line.

Still, you will have time to play them both. Taking countries up to level 5-6-7 goes pretty fast and the cost of airplanes is not that much.

Mix it around.

Get a Lagg 35 russian at tier 3. Get a japanese KI-43 at tier 2.

Get the US tier 1

Try out Brit Beufighters and Spitfires.

And for level 0. If you want to practice and be a little on top: Russians Reserve planes is far better then any other countries. They turn alot faster.

Its the only reserve plane that can take on tier 4-5 planes and get away with it.

In Arcade the German BF109 F4 does not fly as it should and can turn fight pretty well, otherwise Germans are BnZ fighters. They take altitude, dive in, fires and take altitude again, rince and repeat.

Pure dog fighters and great planes at low tier, Brits, japanese or US.

Dont miss out on the low tier Beufighters. Both the tier 5 and 6 are extremly good.

Low tier fights is among the most fun anyway. Tier 0-3 is a blast.

#12 Ellehammer

Ellehammer

Aircraftman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

Try the US line. You will quiet early get the buffalo, which is a overpowered rocket and soon there after the wildcat, which is one hell of a dogfighter in my opinion. It can also carry two small bombs to knock out most ground targets – not pillboxes though. Then follows the aircobras, which are good planes too, once you learn to master them. With their 37mm canon, they can take out soft ground targets but not tanks and pillboxes.

#13 PostApocalypse

PostApocalypse

Warrant officer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:39 AM

Try the British Hurricane II with rockets.

#14 Elton4

Elton4

Warrant officer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:30 PM

If the Zeroes were tiered a bit better and could roll.

Yhose. But the Spits are ridiculous.

#15 Nope

Nope

Glorious Premier of the Soviet Union of Chaikas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 Thanks

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:14 PM

Here's something you can do if you have cash in your pockets. Buy a British captured Hellcat, fly it with your Spitfires. The Hellcat is an amazing ground pounder and boom and zoom machine, the Spitfires turn very well. You get your doze of dogfighting and ground attack that way.

Or if you do not have cash in your pockets, fly both the UK and US trees, switch them up a little if needed. You could replace the US line with the Soviet ground attack line if you don't mind having mediocre bombs.

#16 Czappu

Czappu

3rd year with War Thunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10 Thanks

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

Spoiler

100% true

Spoiler

Not exactly as you say... Rank 8 Wellington is allright - faster (better climb rate) and better armed (4 vs 2 tailguns) then utter garbage Mk1.
Wellingtons are worst bombers to play for people who dont like bombers that match, so avoid them at all costs.
Agree about future nerfing their income = making it rarest bomber at tier 7 and worst ofcourse.

If you are looking for dogfighting, you will enjoy brits on lower tiers. Spit mk II and I are both decent for their tiers, hurricane is a good starting plane, first beaufighter is amazing (just beware of bugged hispanos, use ground attack rounds and be prepared to blow more rounds into enemy planes then usually required).

Hell yea ! Up to tier 6 brits are fun to play, especially if you have all unlocks and 6 planes in lineup.

If you are a strictly arcade player, you might want to save lions and avoid that column past hurricane mk ii.

Basicly dont buy any tier 7 brits if you want to save money and have fun in lower lineup
Its better to spend lions for qualifications for all up to tier 6 planes to have really good reload speeds (+30) as they would be much better with it (all of them).

Spoiler

German low tiers (up to tier 4) are crap, but tier 5 (with bombers) is better, and at tier 6+ its awesome nation to play (Do-217 J1 & J2 / Me-109 / Ju87D5 sometimes / Ju-88 / Spavierro).

American tier 4/5 lineup works well in most conditions and i can reccomend having them.

At rank 6/7 you get more good fighters and interceptors, but your ground strike potential is worse then lower ranks.

USSR is easy mode on all planes (except low tier Yaks), so i recommend keep on going till rank 7 planes (have more ground strike lineup rather then fighters).
Find each USSR plane good role and learn how to use them best. Unlock all pylons and try different bombloads.

Japan isn't so simple to master, but they have great fighters and amazing bombers. Not easiest to play but rewarding when mastered their playstyle.

#17 MightyAA

MightyAA

Officer cadet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:16 AM

I think of the trees as somewhat representative of their countries...

So japanese. japanese think "flying".. Then "kite". That’s what they fly like... light, nimble. Except G5N1 where some idiot thought "distance"= "train". G5 is a sky train.

Germans. Technical. Fast in, fast out and doing the most damage possible in that little moment between "in" and "out". It fights in windows of brief opportunities versus chasing.

American’s. Ballistics. Those planes want to crash and your job is to keep that from happening. They seem to be ‘kick the door down’ approach and resist your ideas about turning and stuff. Aim it at a target and push the button. Wild west... stick some bombs on her too!

Russian & Brits; Seems like they took what works in the other trees, then made their own interpretation mucking up some of it, but getting a lot of it right too. Russians feel like they breathe fire, but can’t get out of a fight. Brits can furball, but can’t catch up (haven’t got to far down that tree though).

Starting from scratch, I’d probably start on those Russian or British trees as there is a variety of tactics that seem to work for them until you figure out what you like best. That is different than say the Germans where it’s zoom boom or fail (like most American planes too). Or the japanese where it’s twisty twister or fail.

#18 Courier_Mojave

Courier_Mojave

Officer cadet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1 Thanks

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:28 AM

I have All of the zeros. I get a lot of kills, and very often I have the top score. However, they are irritating because their guns are complete rubbish.

Being able to turn faster is incredibly important.

xp7ufy5.png

#19 AngryCustard

AngryCustard

Recruit

• Members
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:04 AM

Just an update for you guys.

I decided to give Russians a bit more of a go, because of their rockets.  And I have to say that the IL2 is incredible!  I had 13 ground kills in the first 2 minutes of an arcade game from one single straffing run.  Shot down a low tier biplane before running up a to 18 ground grounds before getting shot down.

Why is the Yagg 3 and Yak so good?  By that I mean I've flown them both now for a few missions and... they just don't seem that good?  I don't seem to be able to knock anything down, and they don't esactly turn.  Meanwhile my 'I-16 Type 18' and 'Chaika' have been literally destroying everything in front of them.  What am I missing?

#20 _Grimlocke_

_Grimlocke_

Warrant officer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:27 AM

Just an update for you guys.

I decided to give Russians a bit more of a go, because of their rockets.  And I have to say that the IL2 is incredible!  I had 13 ground kills in the first 2 minutes of an arcade game from one single straffing run.  Shot down a low tier biplane before running up a to 18 ground grounds before getting shot down.

Why is the Yagg 3 and Yak so good?  By that I mean I've flown them both now for a few missions and... they just don't seem that good?  I don't seem to be able to knock anything down, and they don't esactly turn.  Meanwhile my 'I-16 Type 18' and 'Chaika' have been literally destroying everything in front of them.  What am I missing?

IL2 is quite a decent plane for its tier indeed.

Those lines are good because they are performing decently overall, with no glaring weaknesses. Most other nations have some weaknesses on their planes, while ones you mentioned perform well in all aspects, only maybe lack a little bit of firepower/ammo capacity, something easily remedied if you do what I did.. patiently wait till the plane in front of you starts turning and exposes their canopy.. bam one-shot pilot unconscious, russians are absolutely the best at this little thing (nose-mounted rapid firing shvaks allow pinpoint accuracy required to do this effectively). I remember a game where out of 9 downed planes, I one-shotted pilots in 7 of them without doing any serious damage to their planes. Yak-9T is great for downing bombers and heavy fighters, but I find myself doing a lot better with shvaks when it comes to fighters.

Check this flight analysis for arcade (updated to 1.29 patch and has all the planes on it):

https://docs.google....h4OWh0Smc#gid=0

Try to avoid comparing other planes to german ones, most gerry planes are overperforming a lot, especially in turning. As you can see, yak's are amazing all-around planes, amazing energy retention, turn rate equal to most other nation's planes (spits and zero's excluded), good speed, nose-mounted guns allowing pinpoint accuracy and ez-mode aiming. Very good planes overall for first timers and players who like to bnz/turnfight in the same plane.

Oh, and you get Su line light bombers, personally the most amazing light aircrafts in the whole game. I managed to pull some of the highest scores in arcade with these little things on maps like gorge and two towns. Take out 12 tanks then down a couple of fighters while your bombs reload, rinse and repeat. You are moderately fast, turn like a fighter, have amazing firepower and roll rate, very difficult to hit if you know how to dodge stuff. I'd give half of my brit tech tree just for one tier 4 Su light bomber.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)