21 replies to this topic

#1 Slartibartf83252

Slartibartf83252

Aircraftman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:49 AM

I've been playing this for about a week and am slowly but surely getting my bearings.

I play Historic Battles and fly using a joystick but am finding progress incredibly slow.

I'm still rocking level 0 on all countries except for England where I have achieved level 1, so am still limited to reserve aircraft.  These planes only have 2x 7.7mm machine guns with no cannon or ability to carry bombs.  I'm wanting to get the Hawker Hurricane to hopefully be able to progress in the game a bit better but I'm finding it incredibly slow to progress in level as either I'm so poor or my planes are so incredibly hopeless that I find it utterly impossible to shoot down any other aircraft.  The only way I can find to gain XP is by having pot shots at enemy ground units, netting myself half a dozen XP on a pass.  Currently I need about 10,000 more XP to get to level two.  The best way I've been able to gain XP is by taking off (50 XP), then turning around and landing again (100 XP).  Although not very exciting I can do this several times before someone from the enemy comes over and shoots me down.  I probably gain about 500 XP a gain playing like this, but there must shortly be a better way.

How did you guys level up in the beginning?

#2 Gladius_

Gladius_

Warrant officer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

I did two weeks on arcade battles and then I was set up for HB. Initial grind on HB takes too long.

#3 Shad73

Shad73

Flying officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8 Thanks

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:01 AM

Until lvl 2-3 I've done arcade battles, since up to then some planes really sucks and in a biplane you're much an easy target in HB.

For germany I've started with the Ju-87B, on Sicily map wich was large enough to bomb and shoot down targets away from the front. Berlin / Bulge map seems less appropriate for this plane. The BF-110 is also a good aircraft to hunt bombers in my opinion, i continue using it (haven't bought the dornier Night fighter yet). The Folgore is the first real usable fighter on german side. I continue using it when my Emil and Friedrichs are under repair.

With the brits I've started with the Blenheim...was on sicily map also. I was the only one who climbed so I was rather alone, hiding in the clouds and bombing the bunkers wich couldn't be busted by the fighters. Racked some nice experience (did 2 runs most of the time). On Berlin you can do that to, but the bunkers seems more difficult to crack and you have to make a long flight. The Hurris are good to, if you fly them properly. The MKII just rips planes apart at convergence.

With russia, the Chaika and I-16 are not to bad, the light bombers are good to, no real problem to start with them, except the fact that they are against the japanese most of the time.

USA has the Buffalo wich is really nice (UFO FM) to begin with, the P-40 is also a good plane, but bit harder to begin with.

For japan I love the paper-Hayabusa. Climbs like a god and even if it seems underarmed, you can do some nice kills with good trigger discipline. The Aichi D3 is viable to for some bombing runs....a bit like the early Stuka.

So best would be to lvl up until lvl 2 in Arcade...

#4 Hinty

Hinty

Warrant officer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 Thanks

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:01 AM

Perhaps not a popular response, nor the one you want if you are posting in HB, but, fly arcade. Not enough people fly reserves in HB so you will always be outclassed. In arcade if you only have reserves you will be matched against other reserves 90% of the time and almost never be against anything more than rank 3 or 4.

Arcade should net you rank 4 in a couple of days. Once you have unlocked a few more planes return to HB.

Squadron Commander Lord Flasheart offering advice to new pilots "Remember, always treat your kite like you treat your woman.... Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back."

#5 SIiver

SIiver

Pickle Crusader

• Community Helper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 Thanks

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:10 AM

Arcade untill rank 2-3, or Poach myself a kill or 2 in a reserve plane in HB...

If youre up for it... you could always stroll 1-3 ground kills in FRB or maybe even an air kill!

War Thunder Rules (Forum/Game)    If you need to contact a GM or Mod (click here)

+  How to submit a bug report                                                            + How to Use the In-game Radio Station
Where to submit WINDOWS Bug Reports                   
+ Where to submit MAC Bug Reports                  
Where to submit PS4 Bug Reports
Where to submit STEAM Bug Reports
+ If you want to submit a Suggestion for the game (click here)

==== CURRENTLY AWAY, WILL BE BACK LATER ====

#6 Karaya_one

Karaya_one

Air marshal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3 Thanks

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:44 AM

Fly FRB with Biplanes, they have good tools for you to be situationally aware (open cockpit) and you can take out AA placements.

See you in skies.

#7 Slartibartf83252

Slartibartf83252

Aircraftman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

Okay, I'll give arcade a go for a few days.

I've been keeping away from arcade because being a joystick flyer I thought it would be to hard to compete with the MouseAim-ers and from what I've read stick flyers at least have a fighting chance in Historic Battles, but I'll take my stick over to the arcade and see how it goes.

#8 SIiver

SIiver

Pickle Crusader

• Community Helper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 Thanks

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:16 PM

I've been keeping away from arcade because being a joystick flyer I thought it would be to hard to compete with the MouseAim-ers and from what I've read stick flyers at least have a fighting chance in Historic Battles, but I'll take my stick over to the arcade and see how it goes.

dont forget to try also the single players missions. having a premium aircraft for the nation with greatly speed up your travel through the ranks as well.

War Thunder Rules (Forum/Game)    If you need to contact a GM or Mod (click here)

+  How to submit a bug report                                                            + How to Use the In-game Radio Station

#9 Nacht_

Nacht_

They don't think it be like it is, but it do

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 Thanks

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

Arcade, or single player missions. 

N3EuM2d.png

#10 WalhallaJPN

WalhallaJPN

Pilot officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:37 PM

I would use GE (you should have them from tutorials) and free XP (probably from achievements - I've just confirmed it...). For only 12 GE and 18,000 XP you get to lvl 2... Where you already have some airplanes, which earns more XP...

Or you can fly some Single player Missions

you find the option Convert XP at the bottom of your Profile screen (click on the your name in central-top part of the hangar screen).

EDIT:

On rank 2, you have

USA: F2A-3, which is incredible with current FM (you might enjoy it, while it lasts in 1.29 :-D)

Germany: G.50 - they have 2*0.50cal, however low ammo count (yet you can still do something with those planes). And first He 112

USSR: BB-1, SU-5 are great attackers and Ishak is a funny little plane to play

UK: Hurricane Mk1 & Blenheim - while Blenheim has low load, it can still do some damage (and XP) in current Berlin map - you should get 2*500lbs, which will kill 2x Light Pillbox from low-med altitude...

Japan: Ki-43 Hayabusa - great plane, loved it a lot. D3A1 - decent dive bomber, however it lacks (or lacked last time when I played it in HB) bomb sight, so you have to use your instincts. 

EDIT2: And if you plan only on playing HB, don't worry about additional Crew slots for a while...

猿も木から落ちる。7PKfhCv.png

If sometimes something doesn't make sense, please bear in mind the author is non-native English speaker. In his native language, personal pronouns are often omitted as it is common in the language he is learning now - Japanese :-) 

#11 Slartibartf83252

Slartibartf83252

Aircraftman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

dont forget to try also the single players missions. having a premium aircraft for the nation with greatly speed up your travel through the ranks as well.

Yeah, I've had a go at the Single Missions. I've been playing them offline so as not to mess up other players' games, but there are only two available. I made it through "Night Raid" (or whatever it was called). The other is some "Kossak" mission and I've attempted it many many times but can't get anywhere.

*sorry I'm typing this on my phone and can't remember the exact names of the missions.

#12 SIiver

SIiver

Pickle Crusader

• Community Helper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 Thanks

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

no problem. Kossak village is a nightmare to finish...you need a squad of people to do it.

#13 Shad73

Shad73

Flying officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8 Thanks

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

EDIT2: And if you plan only on playing HB, don't worry about additional Crew slots for a while...

I personally enjoy having the 5 slots for repairs-over-time :)

My setup is: 

- best fighter with longer repair time

- heavy fighter / attacker

- heavy bomber

- fighter with short repair time

- at wish

So while my buffalo repairs, I take out my Wildcat or A-20. I can't fly the same plane over and over and over and over again :D

#14 WalhallaJPN

WalhallaJPN

Pilot officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:45 PM

I personally enjoy having the 5 slots for repairs-over-time :)

My setup is: 

- best fighter with longer repair time

- heavy fighter / attacker

- heavy bomber

- fighter with short repair time

- at wish

So while my buffalo repairs, I take out my Wildcat or A-20. I can't fly the same plane over and over and over and over again :D

I never said he shouldn't get them, but till you reach rank 6-7, they are more or less useless... (if he will play only HB)... 

猿も木から落ちる。7PKfhCv.png

If sometimes something doesn't make sense, please bear in mind the author is non-native English speaker. In his native language, personal pronouns are often omitted as it is common in the language he is learning now - Japanese :-) 

#15 RFS_GoNzO

RFS_GoNzO

Pilot officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3 Thanks

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:17 PM

For the love of god, don't use joystick in HB, use mouseaim. And no, not mousejoy either. Mouseaim with Instructor.

Everyone does it, only thing you're doing is handicapping yourself terribly.

If you're hellbent on flying joystick hit FRB, there everybody is using one, so there is a level playing field at least.

Also, premium account helps a lot due to XP bonuses.

Good luck!

#16 stagediv3r

stagediv3r

Group captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 38 Thanks

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:25 PM

I wouldnt care that much about your plane. As long you are new to HB you wont rock the club anway.

Like (almost) every other newb i started with arcade. Up to the british beaufighter. Than started playing russian and their mighty IL2. Changed them for some yaks. Started HB with my yak7b (very nice plane). More or less stoped playing arcade. Changed to germans (the dark side). Got a 109F than decided to go the heavy fighter tree (410)

But no matter which nation, all have some nice low tier planes for HB :)

#17 Gladius_

Gladius_

Warrant officer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

I suggested some planes for entry into HB here:

http://forum.warthun...ition/?p=448397

#18 Warpig777

Warpig777

Fighter Jock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 Thanks

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

The imbalance is actually worse in HB than in AB. Mouse-aimers get the godlike Instructor that prevents them from going into flatspins/stalls like joystick users can. So joystick carries a lot more consequence while mouse-aimers can abuse their plane all they want with the exception they can still blow their wings off.

In Arcade atleast you get crazy starfighter FM's like the mouse-aimers do. They will just have much better accuracy.

Don't listen to nubs who say FRB is the only place for joystick. That's just personal opinion, and joystick improvements are on the way.

#19 graysson

graysson

Group captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6 Thanks

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:10 PM

I would use GE (you should have them from tutorials) and free XP (probably from achievements - I've just confirmed it...). For only 12 GE and 18,000 XP you get to lvl 2... Where you already have some airplanes, which earns more XP...

Or you can fly some Single player Missions

you find the option Convert XP at the bottom of your Profile screen (click on the your name in central-top part of the hangar screen).

EDIT:

On rank 2, you have

USA: F2A-3, which is incredible with current FM (you might enjoy it, while it lasts in 1.29 :-D)

Germany: G.50 - they have 2*0.50cal, however low ammo count (yet you can still do something with those planes). And first He 112

USSR: BB-1, SU-5 are great attackers and Ishak is a funny little plane to play

UK: Hurricane Mk1 & Blenheim - while Blenheim has low load, it can still do some damage (and XP) in current Berlin map - you should get 2*500lbs, which will kill 2x Light Pillbox from low-med altitude...

Japan: Ki-43 Hayabusa - great plane, loved it a lot. D3A1 - decent dive bomber, however it lacks (or lacked last time when I played it in HB) bomb sight, so you have to use your instincts. 

in addition to your post:

Germany: use the tier 1 Falco instead because it has alot more ammo

RU: Chaika

For the love of god, don't use joystick in HB, use mouseaim. And no, not mousejoy either. Mouseaim with Instructor.

Everyone does it, only thing you're doing is handicapping yourself terribly.

If you're hellbent on flying joystick hit FRB, there everybody is using one, so there is a level playing field at least.

Also, premium account helps a lot due to XP bonuses.

Good luck!

He is right.

Dont use a joystick in HB or arcarde until its fixed.

You make aiming so much harder with an joystick that you couldnt compete with a mouse aimer.

Ground targets give more xp than air targets and they dont defend theirselfs so hard like a real player.

Go for soft ground targets like arty, AA or vehicles in HB.

You can kill light tanks with mg's too.

p.s I just ordered rudder pedals.

Hopefully with them im at least able to kill a not moving ground target.^^

#20 Reynard11

Reynard11

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:23 AM

Pffffft in regards to using a joystick. Ok, sure it's a bit harder to aim then a mouse but it works and it's so much more fun... and natural feeling if after all, you're trying to simulate flying a plane.

Anyway in regards to your real question, I too spent the first week in Arcade until I reached level 2 for all the nations and have been playing HB ever since. Also in regards to the Crew Slots, I only use/spend experience on ONE slot for leveling up ALL attributes because you'll only ever be using 1 plane at a time (be it fighter or bomber). Then I have the other 2 slots simply trained to accept my favorite planes so like Shad73, I can park them there to repair for free over time while I'm flying something else.

WallhallaJPN: The VAL's (D3A1) bombsight is in the cockpit and works great.

WT_sig317_zps40553130.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users