21 replies to this topic

#1 LethalChill

LethalChill

Warrant officer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

I don't know if this has been asked or if there is already information about this somewhere, but after a quick search i didn't find any so i'm going to ask here.

In a ground strike match destroying the opposing teams airfield is one of the ways to win the game right? If so how much punishment can an airfield take before it gets destroyed completely?

If say i manged to sneak my way to their airfield with my Hellcat which can be easily done in at least one of the mountain maps, how many 1000lbs/454kg bombs i would have to drop on the airfield on my own to kill it? Having 2 of them with a lengthy reload time is it even worth trying?

Or is it only doable with several bombers dropping thousand pounders or even Wellingtons and Lancasters with their silly 4000lbs monsters?

#2 flukeR

flukeR

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

I can't give you an exact figure but i remember a jingles video from a long time ago where he did it, it took about 3 or 4 full bombloads from his strategic bomber so it's a significant amount indeed.

#3 Carla_J_Luksic

Carla_J_Luksic

Group captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 58 Thanks

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:45 AM

I can't give you an exact figure but i remember a jingles video from a long time ago where he did it, it took about 3 or 4 full bombloads from his strategic bomber so it's a significant amount indeed.

Might be even more now since bombs are bit less damaging now.

Need to find 3 other persons with B-17's and carpet bomb that airfield. If it's taken out, it's still only the 4x B-17 runs with the 8x 1000lb bombs.

Something tickles me though that it might be 6 B-17 runs now.

My status as Community helper doesn't make me affiliated with Gaijin, I have just the simple task of helping out new players and answer their question when related to the game. Any posts I do on the forum outside "The Academy" section, is solely my own and doesn't represent the opinion of anyone else but mine.

#4 LethalChill

LethalChill

Warrant officer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

So that would have been like eight wellingtons with 4000lbs bombs for the British which is probably less doable than B-17's. Also at those ranks fighters are damn fast and have some damn powerful guns. I guess finishing the game insanely fast has to have some drawbacks... :(s

#5 Juro_svk

Juro_svk

Warrant officer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 Thanks

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

I don't know if this has been asked or if there is already information about this somewhere, but after a quick search i didn't find any so i'm going to ask here.

In a ground strike match destroying the opposing teams airfield is one of the ways to win the game right? If so how much punishment can an airfield take before it gets destroyed completely?

If say i manged to sneak my way to their airfield with my Hellcat which can be easily done in at least one of the mountain maps, how many 1000lbs/454kg bombs i would have to drop on the airfield on my own to kill it? Having 2 of them with a lengthy reload time is it even worth trying?

Or is it only doable with several bombers dropping thousand pounders or even Wellingtons and Lancasters with their silly 4000lbs monsters?

In 1.27 the limit was 16 000 kgs of bombs needed to destroy airfield

#6 LethalChill

LethalChill

Warrant officer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

In 1.27 the limit was 16 000 kgs of bombs needed to destroy airfield

16k kg or 32k lbs? A pound is a little less than half of a kilogram. If it's 16k kg then it takes more than four 8000lbs loads.

#7 SIiver

SIiver

Pickle Crusader

• Community Helper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 Thanks

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

Units.png

War Thunder Rules (Forum/Game)    If you need to contact a GM or Mod (click here)

+  How to submit a bug report                                                            + How to Use the In-game Radio Station
Where to submit WINDOWS Bug Reports                   
+ Where to submit MAC Bug Reports                  
Where to submit PS4 Bug Reports
Where to submit STEAM Bug Reports
+ If you want to submit a Suggestion for the game (click here)

==== CURRENTLY AWAY, WILL BE BACK LATER ====

#8 Reblerts

Reblerts

Officer cadet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

I crash landed on a friendly airfield and got -90 points for friendly fire, it is so bloody stupid.

goku_ssj3___coloured_by_ezio_anime-d55csichigo_soul_reaper_by_yamamochan-d45kcvl

#9 Black_Dog_

Black_Dog_

Officer cadet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3 Thanks

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

I crash landed on a friendly airfield and got -90 points for friendly fire, it is so bloody stupid.

I get the 'friendly fire' penalty for crashing into friendly AAA or other such ground targets... but the airfield?? WTF indeed!!!

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

jUyoe.jpg                   ypCFjfR.png

#10 IlPREDATORlI

IlPREDATORlI

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:46 AM

My clan mates did a test they said it was approx. 18000k to take an airfield out.

sig1.pngsig15-1.png

#11 DenverRalphy

DenverRalphy

Pilot officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:50 AM

I seem to recall it takes around 15k pounds to destroy an airfield. Two passes of a B17 fully loaded with 8 1000 pounders and they all hit would take one out. Yes that equals 16k, but somewhere it was noted 15k would do it.

Killing the airfields doesn't equate to a win directly. But it halts re spawns and/or repairs. I could be wrong though. Rare that it ever happens.

#12 Demol_Bandit

Demol_Bandit

Flight lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23 Thanks

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:55 AM

+16000kg should do the trick

WWva45Q.jpg

Trust me, I'm a professional.

#13 Mistress_Kei

Mistress_Kei

Flying officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:55 AM

16,000 lb of bombs are needed to destroy an airfield, netting the player 4100 xp and 21,000 lions (pre 1.29).

It also wins the game.

I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.
S. Lem
Higurashi_Stamp_by_DemonedAway.png

#14 Popingheads

Popingheads

Air commodore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 Thanks

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:42 AM

16k kg, not lb. Took 8 passes in a Do217.

#15 nkSharp

nkSharp

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 Thanks

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:48 AM

16,000 lb of bombs are needed to destroy an airfield, netting the player 4100 xp and 21,000 lions (pre 1.29).

It also wins the game.

Not instantly, it only drains the counter down. Albeit unless you were the last one and then get shot down would you lose.

#16 Mistress_Kei

Mistress_Kei

Flying officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:06 AM

Not instantly, it only drains the counter down. Albeit unless you were the last one and then get shot down would you lose.

That makes sense.

I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.
S. Lem
Higurashi_Stamp_by_DemonedAway.png

#17 Eye_of_Storm

Eye_of_Storm

Recruit

• Members
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

when you´re bombing an airfield, carrier or battleships...is it more effective to use (Wellington for example) 9x500lb bombs or the single 4000lb bomb?

#18 PJ44

PJ44

Aircraftman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

I don't think it should drain the counter down.  I can see it preventing players from respawning and getting repairs, but it should not affect the ticket counter.

Besides which, its just a xxxx way of winning.

#19 _McLeod_

_McLeod_

Flying officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4 Thanks

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

I did it the other day in my H6K4 I had to drop 6 times - so that is 12,000kg (last bomb had to do hardly any damage as there was practically no hp left on airtfield) - pre 1.29 it took me 6 passes in a Catolina which was 24,000lb 

We were getting about 1500 lions for each individual bomb hit and then when I killed it I got 9000 lions, cant remember the XP exactly but each number was a bit higher than the lions.

Pre 1.29 it took me 6 passes in a Catolina which was 24,000lb 

WT_sig467_zpsd4cb3de2.jpg

#20 _McLeod_

_McLeod_

Flying officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4 Thanks

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

when you´re bombing an airfield, carrier or battleships...is it more effective to use (Wellington for example) 9x500lb bombs or the single 4000lb bomb?

The single 4000lb because bigger bombs do much more damage.

You can try simple tests, for example you can drop a 1000kg (2200lb) on a pillbox and kill it, but if you were to drop 500lb on it you would have to drop more than 4, in 1 instance it took me 14 x 500lb and 14 x 250lb  - being dropped 1 at a time form a Wirraway without missing - all were direct hits, its insane lol.

WT_sig467_zpsd4cb3de2.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users