44 replies to this topic

#1 Marikc0

Marikc0

Warrant officer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:23 AM

I quickly threw together a tips and rules video for BNZ energy fighting in the Bf 109 E-3 German fighter. This video should also apply to similar fighters such as the YAK or other capable boom and zoomers. It's short, but I touched on some of the important points. Most importantly, over anything, do not engage in turn fights with anyone or hang out at low altitude where the rest of the fighters are. You will quickly become scrap.

The guns on the Bf 109 E-3 aren't amazing, but absolutely do the job. I believe I scored 7-0 in this match. Nothing spectacular, but acceptable for about the 15th or so match with the Bf 109 E-3. I went through what I can only describe is blood pressure raising hell to get to the 109, as the fighters prior to it are trash in my opinion.

At first I really despised German aircraft. Now that I have the 109, I have absolutely changed my tune. Surprisingly, I've found the 109 to have incredible survivability, even though Germans have paper wings. Though, I feel like the 109 E-3 actually does take hits quite well for a German aircraft. In the matches I've flown with it, I've almost never been killed.

One mistake I see a lot of people making is attempting to get a shot immediately, keeping their nose in front of the target,  putting themselves in a hard turn and preparing themselves for an overshoot of the target over better preparing for the shot to stay at the rear and engage longer. Sometimes this is a viable tactic, others it is not. Never overshoot from the rear: pull up, allow separation and flip back over on the target's rear again (not a full Immelman). Check the video to see what I mean.

Enjoy. Sorry for the somewhat low quality. I'm still trying to optimize the game for the 550TI and recording.

Update: I seem to have resolved my quality issues. The next video should be a solid and sharp 720p.

Thread: Marik's Flight Techniques and How to Win

#2 Herr_Ronin

Herr_Ronin

Herr Senpai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14 Thanks
[SRN] Schwarzer Regen

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:34 AM

+1 for posting it in the correct bloody sub forum instead of Arcade, I hope people follow this Video, it will stop a lot of whining ingame regarding the Bf 109's, but they still need looked at, regarding the quailty, what pixel are you rendering at, Only 480p I am guessing?

#3 Marikc0

Marikc0

Warrant officer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:40 AM

+1 for posting it in the correct bloody sub forum instead of Arcade, I hope people follow this Video, it will stop a lot of whining ingame regarding the Bf 109's, but they still need looked at, regarding the quailty, what pixel are you rendering at, Only 480p I am guessing?

It was supposed to be 720, but hasn't optimized to 720 yet (hoping it does). The main issue is with recording quality. Right now, I'm using Open Broadcast Software to record (FPS issues with Fraps). With Fraps I get a low 30FPS, so it hinders my ability to play as well.

#4 BFNK

BFNK

Officer cadet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

Yes, good piece of information. I started out with the Germans, and eventually, when I got to level 7, I had 3 BFs at once... It was pretty hard. The models from level 7 aren't as good at making turns, they are worse than the rank 6 Bf in that regard. But so much firepower... if you do BnZ right with them, w/o getting yourself killed too often - they are murder machines.

#5 Temeraire

Temeraire

Warrant officer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

good video

Sie sind das Essen und wir sind die Jäger!

#6 Zaneboy

Zaneboy

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 Thanks
-WFPK- WolfPack

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

I'm wondering if there is a certain altitude you guys prefer to fly at before initiating your dive? Cause the higher the altitude, the higher your speed, higher chance for overshooting. Might sound like a silly question but I had many times overshooting my target using BnZ. :/

warthunderMsig.pngtg8s52uu.png

#7 Tepurgo

Tepurgo

39ª Squadriglia LINCI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:36 PM

Nice video, can u make next with more quality video pls =)

#8 Viking666

Viking666

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:59 AM

The video is great... now try to do the same thing with a Joystick and let me know how many hits you can get in 1 pass.

italysignture.pngblackgoldbase.jpg

#9 Inkompetent

Inkompetent

Squadron leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 Thanks

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:49 AM

I'm wondering if there is a certain altitude you guys prefer to fly at before initiating your dive? Cause the higher the altitude, the higher your speed, higher chance for overshooting. Might sound like a silly question but I had many times overshooting my target using BnZ. :/

If you are too high up, don't do a too steep dive. Either do a flatter dive, or spiral down towards your target. Generally diving more than max 1000m will give you too much speed for all but the fastest-flying of enemies.

#10 SIiver

SIiver

Pickle Crusader

• Community Helper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 Thanks

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:31 AM

excellent form, well done.

War Thunder Rules (Forum/Game)    If you need to contact a GM or Mod (click here)

+  How to submit a bug report                                                            + How to Use the In-game Radio Station
Where to submit WINDOWS Bug Reports                   
+ Where to submit MAC Bug Reports                  
Where to submit PS4 Bug Reports
Where to submit STEAM Bug Reports
+ If you want to submit a Suggestion for the game (click here)

==== CURRENTLY AWAY, WILL BE BACK LATER ====

#11 Doppelsieg

Doppelsieg

Recruit

• Members
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

Marikc0, you have my appreciation and gratitude for not being an anticultural moron (like half of the internet populace) and putting great music in the background.

And the video? Absolutely fantastic, at least one rookie (me) now truly knows what is energy-fighting.

THANK YOU.

I currently do and will only fly german/axis aircraft, no negotiations.
warthunderWoTsig.png

#12 Sat4n4s

Sat4n4s

Warrant officer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 Thanks

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

Nice video mate , really thanks :)

sign-w10.png"Cette victoire... Les vaincus l'avaient à cœur et les vainqueurs l'avaient dans le cul !" 

Mon (vieux) DeviantArt

#13 stormtroopercz

stormtroopercz

Marshal of the Air Force

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 Thanks

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

:facepalm: Rule 0 !!!! if you want to make boom and zoom, or any other air-to-air combat, drop the bomb or not you do not take it as an author who flies with the already slow bf-109 :facepalm:

Yes... We can !!!

#14 AbfangJager

AbfangJager

World War II Database 70,385 Files,1,774 Folders

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 Thanks
[TSK] TSK

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

Sorry but did not work. :(

Bf109 climb speed to bad + low firepower.

#15 BFNK

BFNK

Officer cadet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

So let me get this straight - you are unhappy about him carrying bombs, even he still manages to finish off other airplanes successfully? And unless this was sarcasm, you complain about how bad Bf 109 is, while you have images of it in your signature? I decided to try some USA fighting y-day, so I formed a squad with a pilot who was rank 7 there. I didn't have any planes other than the rank 0-1 FMs, and eventually I managed to pull 1st place with 1 death and about 3k points versus all the people flying rank 7+ aircraft. I even chased a Bf 109 (rank 6 version, I think) and managed to kill him with my legendary Peashooter. If I use logic accordingly, I shouldn't really ever fly anything else besides the rank 0-1 planes, should I? Regardless of speed and firepower, I got to troll epic planes with the 'weakest' plane I could find, so what's the point of having these epic planes after all? I don't claim to be an ace, but I really had some unexpected fun and it turned out that I had the advantage because most of these planes were designed to boom and zoom and as long as I kept away from their noses - I was safe, like an annoying kitchen fly that always escapes your folded newspaper hits.

The one thing I believe should be mentioned, is that bombs do indeed make your plane heavier and harder to maneuver. Maybe this doesn't matter so much for some, but it deserves to be mentioned as I didn't really know about it before watching this and reading the comments.

#16 stormtroopercz

stormtroopercz

Marshal of the Air Force

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 Thanks

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:02 PM

Bf-109 E, K-4 and G-6 are able to make boom/zoom others not ,bcs lack of firepower.

Boom/zoom means that you have plane which is able to hit and kill other plane for short burst in one or two seconds, e-7 can has 2x 20mm and meet low tier enemys,g-6 is awesome for that and k-4 is more agile,faster and 30mm cannon is enough. but f-4/f4trop,g-2 or last "G" lack of firepower and usually u have to put whole magazine till your enemy is down.

So is nice video to show how to make boom/zoom with e-3 bf,but is not some tutorial for Bfs in general

Yes... We can !!!

#17 BFNK

BFNK

Officer cadet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

OK, in that case do you have better suggestions on how to handle the weaker Bfs effectively? And I don't think "don't fly them" works in this case.

#18 Adrenochrom

Adrenochrom

Warrant officer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

Bf-109 E, K-4 and G-6 are able to make boom/zoom others not ,bcs lack of firepower.

Boom/zoom means that you have plane which is able to hit and kill other plane for short burst in one or two seconds, e-7 can has 2x 20mm and meet low tier enemys,g-6 is awesome for that and k-4 is more agile,faster and 30mm cannon is enough. but f-4/f4trop,g-2 or last "G" lack of firepower and usually u have to put whole magazine till your enemy is down.

So is nice video to show how to make boom/zoom with e-3 bf,but is not some tutorial for Bfs in general

Exactly what I was thinking :P

The E3's firepower is reliable enough to kill (some) planes in 1 pass, though most likely no Beaufighters, Su2's etc. etc...

The E3's climbrate / ability to maintain energy on a climb on the other hand is as poor as Americans/Brits, at best (whereas exactly this should be the pro of german fighters IMHO, but we all know... FM's are utterly broken).

And the F series is just a pain to grind, to me atleast although I have some "romantic" sympathy for them if you know what I mean :) they're just beautifull aircrafts.

I either feel completely useless, climbing to about 1.5-2km, in most games droping down into a huge furball of 10vs.10 fighters, not finding a target I can engage at a good angle and aborting & climbing from 500m again.

The funny stuff is: The japanese that's down there, on 150m decides to go after me and nevermind my engergyadvantage and heightadvantage starting the climb from 350m higher, he catches up and I can already press J actually (I'm talking about propplanes, no Jets). Same stands for Russians, british Beaufighters and to a small extent to some americans.

So I tried to do the most extreme boom'n'zoom I can, diving at about 800km/h+ and not doing turns at all, never ever.

And indeed I did survive almost every dive, but I was completely useless... You can't hit ****, seriously... and IF you hit, your bullets obviously become cottonballs, while some straying bullet that was supposed for someone cyrcling around down on the ground shoots off your wing xD

b2t

The 1st run was imho a pretty lucky kill as the target went straight on which barely ever happens (usually anyone would have made a hard turn instinctively) and the first burst set him on fire, the 2nd kill on the bomber was valid though all energy went lost in the horizontal turn and the E3 was suddenly stuck on 500m alt with 350km/h and 0 energy, would there been any enemy fighter around that's about a deathsentence.

Nevertheless, nice info for someone who's never heard of boom'n'zoom I guess, one will get an idea and can figure the rest himself.

61hu.jpge6dg.jpg

#19 audigex

audigex

Group captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2 Thanks

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

Any plane can boom+zoom - it's just that some are better at it than others. I've been doing some B&Z using a Gladiator on 109's, Spitfires etc lately. At the end of the day, if you're high and fast then you can hit someone who is low and slow, retaining enough ability to climb away afterward. You need a greater speed differential, but it works. You just have to pull out of the dive earlier, and will have a lower success rate.

The earlier 109's hold their own well against low tier planes, just don't get bounced. And don't turn at the bottom of a dive - if you can't hit within 45 degress of your initial dive, pull out and go again.

If you ever don't know what to do, shoot down the enemy and we can discuss your options later.

Ode to the Rammer

#20 kongxinga

kongxinga

Officer cadet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1 Thanks

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:34 AM

Why pick on the rearmost plane? When you zoom out the one in front might get shots off?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users