16 replies to this topic

#1 AKAMrWraith

AKAMrWraith

Aircraftman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

Hey i was wondering if any one can tell me what this does and if it affects arcade mode at all?

so far i can only guess that it affects how far the bullets converge from ur air craft but what about nose mounted guns hmm?

or does changing this change where the targeting prediction circles shows?

in both war thunder and birds of steel there is nothing explaining what gun targeting distance actually does.. =$

lol at first it seemed so self explanatory but changing it didnt seem to mess with my accuracy at all so i figured.. too the forums!

#2 Herr_Ronin

Herr_Ronin

Herr Senpai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7 Thanks

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

Set your Range to 500m, if you are at 600m from your target just shoot a little in front of the aim, the 500m is your kill zone, I find it the most effective range to start shooting with cannons and machine guns, you want to put as much damage on him as possible and as quickly, so try this and see how it goes.

Note: Yes changing the range determines where the Circle comes up.

Posted Image

#3 AKAMrWraith

AKAMrWraith

Aircraftman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

i think this helped a $%&! ton haha but just to confirm that i didnt jest get lucky (currently in a game and shot a beaufighter down with a quick burst) the target prediction circle will tell u where to shoot from a set distance say 500m even if if ur 300m away the circle is for if ur 500m away?

#4 Dasyus

Dasyus

Corporal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 Thanks

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

No the circle is predicting where the center of the airplane is predicted to be by the time the bullets get to the craft.

Also, try 400 sometime. That seems to be a good spot for me when I am shooting. The rounds seem to focus closer on one point rather than running mostly parallel at the 500m setting.

#5 Aeternus

Aeternus

Aircraftman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:59 PM

In Arcade Gun Targeting Distance have no Effekt and Set Automaticly in Game.

For all other Modes:

mxoqorau.jpg

http://warthunder.wi...Gun_Convergence

#6 Dasyus

Dasyus

Corporal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 Thanks

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

Ah crap. I thought I was talking in hb

#7 SHARKBITEATTACK

SHARKBITEATTACK

Corporal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:27 AM

Wow that gun convergence article was pretty interesting

rMayxQb.jpghV9UXXt.jpg

The WAR MACHINE - Military Museums and More

#8 Darkzero

Darkzero

Flight lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17 Thanks

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:14 AM

Does this setting work for arcade after 1.31?  

#9 Tingjonki

Tingjonki

Pilot officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:32 AM

yes it works now

#10 PepeTaurunum

PepeTaurunum

Flight lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 Thanks

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:01 AM

but... why can't we set it for every of our slots separately?

We can set dozens of crew parameters there, to match our combat stile with this slot and airplane, but no convergence??

:?s 

pepe-sign3_zps40807247.jpg    pepe-sign_zps259281a7.jpg  pepe-sign2_zps9f908550.jpg
WOЯKIИG AS IИTEИDED™

#11 Koyaanisquatchi

Koyaanisquatchi

Officer cadet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6 Thanks

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:25 AM

but... why can't we set it for every of our slots separately?

We can set dozens of crew parameters there, to match our combat stile with this slot and airplane, but no convergence??

:?s 

+1

just give bomber gunners a little bit of a chance...would keep games going longer too...hard to bomb AND shoot from a turret

hJwHalD.png

#12 Ben_Ryan4784

Ben_Ryan4784

Recruit

• Members
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:12 AM

+1

just give bomber gunners a little bit of a chance...would keep games going longer too...hard to bomb AND shoot from a turret

True, even with a trained crew, they still dont do very well

Signing off...

#13 Ottobon

Ottobon

Upgrade Stamina Skill! 100/100!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 Thanks

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:57 AM

Note: Yes changing the range determines where the Circle comes up.

WRONG

I have read lead indicator is (or maybe was at one time) static and set for 300m always.  

Think I'll go play a round with 2 FW 190s, set one to 200m then fly out with one at 800 meters and see if it moves the lead indicator 4x. as I'd like to know myself.  Will update later.

Tests done.

I Tested it and there is no difference in lead indicator even if you set one plane for 50m and then fly out in another at 800m gun convergence.

So far as i can tell lead indicator IS static and set for 300 meters no matter how close or far you are from the plane, or what your gun convergence is set at.

As for the OP, Gun convergence is preferential, but usually tighter turning planes like Zeros and Spits which hang on peoples tails can benefit from having a shorter gun convergence like 300 meters and Faster planes which can't turn, or especially bomber hunters benefit from having a higher gun convergence like 400 to 600.

It all has to do with were YOU feel comfortable engaging the enemy.  Just set your gun convergence at the same range you find yourself firing at enemies the most often.  With nose mounted guns the only thing that changes is with convergence setting is there "vertical targeting"  (compensation for bullet drop basically) if you dont have it turned on then turn it on in options menu, its off by default, no idea why its off by default. 

Edited by Ottobon, 24 February 2014 - 02:22 AM.

!Upgrade your Stamina Skill to 100/100 or otherwise you will never have proper elevator authority!

!It fixes almost all pilot "derpyness", and prevents under-turning!

#14 Der_Auslander

Der_Auslander

RNGesus Believer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 Thanks

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:52 AM

Thanks for reviving this.
I've never been 100% clear how the vertical targeting, convergence and lead indicators work in conjunction.

What I do know is that there's more guesswork now since I started playing back in 1.29 when the gun targeting distance couldn't be changed in AB.

I still have 2 lingering questions:

1. Does gun convergence also account for differential cannon and MG ballistics?  For example, if I have a FF/M and MG151 firing out of a FW 190, do the two cannon shell types cross at the gun convergence point both horizontally and vertically?  As in, do the FF/M cannons get aimed up slightly to counter the shell drop differential vs. the MG151?

2. Exactly what does vertical targeting affect?  I know it's not the lead indicator, is it the convergence point then?  As in if you have your gun targeting distance set to 400m, then the vertical targeting will will lower your point of aim to compensate for the shell drop?  

#15 Lescun

Lescun

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:26 AM

The lead indicator adjusts for cannons/machine guns.  I'm not sure how it adjusts between cannon of the same caliber though.  I know that if you have a Spitfire with hispanos and 303's, the lead indicator shows you where your cannons will hit until they run out of ammo, then the indicator jerks to adjust to the machine guns which apparently travel much faster than cannon shells.  I'm guessing the convergence works in the same way.

#16 Popingheads

Popingheads

Air commodore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 Thanks

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:29 AM

Leading is based on the highest velocity gun you have, convergence means all your guns will hit at the same horizontal spot, this doesn't compensate for drop. Turning on vertical targeting does compensate for drop, meaning all your bullets will hit exactly on your crosshair, even if there are many different guns with many different velocities.

Also this post is nearly a year old, game mechanics have changed. Don't believe everything you read in the older posts. It's true that at one time convergence was automatic in arcade, not anymore.

#17 Atanas_Neykov

Atanas_Neykov

Aircraftman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:20 PM

Thats a interesting topic. So what i think... if U play whit a fighter like Spitfire who have good turn may be U prefеr dog fight. In dog fight the distance between planes are close so the target distance must be close too - something like 100, 150 m...  May be Ur thinking way the hell need so extremely close target distance? Because oh high range Ur bullets will spread a lot and lot of them are waste whit no hit. Other its harder to aim and hit fast moving target on big range, then on close range.

Even if U use fighter like BF 109 its a good idea to use target distance like 200,150 or even 100 m because Ur aim is to hit from high altitude then run fast in sky. Need to wait the last moment when Ur extremely close, then fire one burst and if U have a cannons for sure Ull have a kill and the enemy pilot not even know what happens . Yes need lot of practice. Some times its better not going in chase its a waste on time and make U easy target.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users