33 replies to this topic

#1 Marikc0

Marikc0

Warrant officer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:03 AM

Most relevant for: Arcade mode. Some points may not be relevant for historic or full real.

This guide is ongoing and will be updated. Updated for 1.29.
You can find 1.29 patch notes here (translates automatically with Chrome).

l9UMnsg.jpg

Boom and Zoom / Energy Fighting / Other Information:

• Boom and Zoom: Aircraft capable of high speed, controllable descent, vertical speed and sustained climb are best suited for the BNZ. This is something the Germans are famous for in WWII that allowed them to decimate Allied aircraft. You begin with an altitude advantage, drop down on the enemy, wait until the last possible minute, fire, pull off and escape with the accumulated energy in the descent. It's advantageous to maintain an energy advantage throughout your time in the aircraft; even when not in combat. Once you start to lose energy in a climb, regain it with either another committed dive-attack or short dive/level flight/slight nose-down. One American aircraft capable of this in Warthunder is the Kittyhawk. In WWII the Germans accomplished this with aircraft such as the 109. Do not overextend yourself against turn fighters. Other aircraft: LAGG, Yak.
  • Energy Fighting: In one word this can be described as potential: for maintaining or gaining speed or climb rather than the assured loss of it over the enemy. Know the potential of the aircraft near you. Right now in 1.27 things are pretty weird. A YAK7 in a 300MPH/482kmh High Energy climb can be harassed by biplanes like the Nimrod or I-153P. Losing energy potential or build up is dangerous.
  • Situational Awareness: Awareness of allied and enemy aircraft around you. "Lose sight, lose the fight".
  • Deflection Shooting: Hitting an aircraft from any angle and leading the target. The lead indicator is only helpful at doing this well. This requires a great deal of foresight and this is where a lot of skill comes into play. It's just as important to setup your attack for an easier shot.
  • Turn Fighting: One reason that the Japanese aircraft excel at turn-fighting is their low speed. The reason for this is simple: At higher speeds you begin to approach the target in the turn. In a turn fight, you do not want to get closer to the target. Doing so will force you to turn harder to maintain a consistent weapons fire or solution. While other aircraft do excel at turning, they begin to overtake the target when doing so. At pure turn-fighting: the Japanese reign.
  • One Second Burst Mass: The amount of mass ejected from the aircraft's gun in one second. Think of it as a measurement of Burst DPS (Damage Per Second).

AMMO BELTS and ROUND TYPES: (working on this)

Note: HEIT = Partial HE, I and T. Supposedly a HE round is more effective HE than a HEIT. Etc.

• I = Incendiary 
  • T = Tracer
  • IT = Incendiary Tracer
  • AP = Armour Piercing
  • HE = High Explosive
  • API = Armour Piercing Incendiary
  • APT = Armour Piercing Tracer
  • HEI = High Explosive Incendiary
  • HET = High Explosive Tracer
  • APIT = Armour Piercing Incendiary Tracer
  • APRC = Armor Piercing Reduced Caliber
  • APCR = Armor Piercing Composite Rigid
  • HEIT = High Explosive Incendiary Tracer
  • SAPI = Semi Armour Piercing Incendiary
  • APIHC = Armour Piercing Incendiary Hollow Core

Video: RAMJB on Ammo Types

Resource: (Reddit) Comparison of New Ammo Types

DIRECT HIT BOMB DAMAGE (#) = Required Hits
Instead of listing everything, I've listed what bombs are probably best used for. Some changes were made in 1.29.

• 50KG (110.231lb): AAA, Artillery, Light Pillbox, Light Tank, Tank, Aircraft, Cargo Ship, Smaller Boats
  • 250KG (551.156lb): Light Pillbox, Tank, Light Tank or other armored columns
  • 500KG (1102.31lb): Destroyer, Pillbox, armoured columns
  • 2000KG (4409.245lb): Carrier, Battleship
  • 100LB: AAA, Artillery, Light Pillbox, Light Tank, Tank, Aircraft, Cargo Ship, Smaller Boats
  • 500LB: Destroyer(2), Tank, Light Tank or other armored columns
  • 1000lb: Destroyer, Light Pillbox, Pillbox, Carrier(4), armoured columns
  • 4000lb: Carrier, Battleship
  • TORPEDO: Destroyer, Carrier (4), Battleship (3-4)
  • ROCKET: AAA, Artillery, Light Pillbox (1-2), Light Tank, Aircraft, Cargo Ship(3), Destroyer (3-4)
  • KAMIKAZE: You're a bomb! Bombers do not do this well (a bug as far as I know). They tend to just break apart.

Note: 1x50KG will splash damage AA/Artillery if it hits relatively close. Rockets can splash kill multiple landing boats or tanks.
Rockets: Splash damage multiple targets if fired between them (ie: landing boats in Pearl Harbor, tanks, etc).
Mid-air bombs vs. aircraft: I've been told by several people that bombs can collide with aircraft in mid-air. Unconfirmed.
Cannons: You can use them on cargo ships. Example: 20mm Hispano.

Relevant Links:
Ground Targets - Guide by Sliver

Airspeed, Climb, Escape Velocity and other Comments

• CLIMB SPEED: Determine the balance between airspeed and climb. At a specific angle of attack your aircraft will begin to either lose speed, gain speed or maintain speed in a climb. This will be different for each aircraft and in theory, whether or not flaps or landing gear is down and the angle of flaps (raised, combat, landing or takeoff). Use this knowledge to your advantage. Excess angle of attack in a climb can be beneficial for a very quick altitude gain, but air speed will drop significantly. Depending on the aircraft, at about 15 degrees climb (give or take 5 degrees or so) aircraft will lose or gain speed slowly, but continue to gain altitude. To maintain escape speed for a long period of time (after a strafe for example or BNZ) you can use this knowledge to maintain escape velocity.

CREW SKILLS / Repair
Honestly, I see no proof that crew skills have any effect whatsoever in Arcade, so I would plan your crew skills according to what you need in HB/FR (such as Keen Vision).

• AUTO-REPAIR: Turn it off. Aircraft will repair over time. Repair them as you need them. Helps earn Lions.
  • REPAIR RANK: Must be as high as your aircraft's rank for repair speed to work (ie: Corsair Rank 8).
  • REPAIR SPEED: The rate that your aircraft repairs itself on the airfield while in-game and in the hangar when you are not flying the aircraft or away from the game. Auto-repair must be turned off.

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT or ETHICS
For those with an open mind, I propose the following Rules of Engagement:

• TWO PER BOGEY: If you see two team mates attacking a bogey (lead and a wing man) and the bogey is not attacking another team mate or asset (ground target for example) move on to another target that is in range. If the bogey is attacking a team mate or asset or no additional bogey is in immediate range, engage the bogey if your presence will not endanger the lead or his wing man.
  • PROTECT: If you see a bogey engaging a team mate or ground asset, engage the bogey. You can get additional hefty experience bonuses for this.
  • COLLISIONS: Keep your "head on a swivel" as we skydivers call it and try not to collide with team mates.

VIDEOS and GUIDES
Fighter Tactics 101 (WWII) (Video Documentary)
Energy Combat Tactics
Basic Fighter Maneuvering (PDF)
Ground Targets Guide by Sliver (Warthunder Forum)
Fighter Combat - Tactics and Maneuvering (PDF)
P-47 Thunderbolt during World War II (1945 Documentary)
Dogfights: Thunderbolt (Video Documentary)
Dogfights: P-51 Mustang (Video Documentary)

YOUTUBERS
BohemianEagle (The Mighty Jingles)
BaronVonGomez
SideStrafe

MY VIDEOS AND GUIDES
Dxtory, Handbrake and Premiere Settings Guide
Fan Video - Winter in Stalingrad
Bf 109 E-3 Boom and Zoom Energy Fighting
Fan Video - Top Gun

Evading 11 Fighters and Winning

Free 250 Eagles - How Should I Use Them?
How should you spend them? Save them for a while. Once you have experience with all of the nations and have an idea of their strengths and weaknesses you can make an informed decision of how to spend you eagles. Use them on an extra crew slot (aircraft) for a nation that you will spend a lot of time with. Save the remaining Eagles for later when you find an aircraft that you will keep for a long time. Then spend it on the crew (things like Gunner precision for example).

GRAPHIC OPTIMIZATIONS and PERFORMANCE GUIDE

Spoiler

AIRCRAFT ENERGY POTENTIAL (Update 1.27)
Spoiler

EXPERIENCE GAIN
Spoiler

Fire Evasion (from the Rear)
Spoiler

Fire Evasion (from the front), Winning at "Playing Chicken"
Spoiler

Few "random techniques" for killing people or ground objects:
Spoiler

Chasing or Choosing a Target and "Getting the Shot"
Spoiler

How to Win Games
Spoiler

A few points on versus certain aircraft:
Spoiler

BOMBING / TORPEDO Runs
Spoiler

FLAPS / LANDING / STALLING
Controls: F to switch between two modes of flaps and [ ] to switch between them all. The purpose of flaps is to increase lift.
Spoiler

#2 Katens

Katens

Aircraftman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:46 AM

Nice, will read thoroughly later  ;)s

#3 Marikc0

Marikc0

Warrant officer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:24 AM

Nice, will read thoroughly later  ;)s

Let me know if it helps. Also, I updated it. :)

#4 GunRall

GunRall

Wing Commander

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:30 AM

its been helpful to me already. I prefer the US and am trying to learn to play them well.  I got into a bad habit of turn fights which apparently doesn't work well with US fighters.  I also see the point about bombers and such and the big exp difference in hitting ground v air targets

#5 Marikc0

Marikc0

Warrant officer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:40 AM

its been helpful to me already. I prefer the US and am trying to learn to play them well.  I got into a bad habit of turn fights which apparently doesn't work well with US fighters.  I also see the point about bombers and such and the big exp difference in hitting ground v air targets

Yea, they aren't exceptional. I learned pretty quickly that if you know how to position yourself you'll have plenty of time to get off enough shots to make the kill. If for example a Japanese aircraft goes into a hard turn to come around on you don't follow his lead and pull back hard on the stick engaged in a turn with him. Sometimes turning the other way for a moment to get some space is better. The closer you are to the target the harder you will have to turn, so you can space yourself out (stop chasing for a moment and go out wide) then come around hard. It's hard to explain.

Edit: Why this forum auto-edits some words is beyond me.

#6 GunRall

GunRall

Wing Commander

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:56 AM

I'm going to watch that video and make sure of what I'm thinking you mean but I believe you mean to not chase too close, slow down if needed and to bank the other way if he goes into a hard turn?

edit: yep that's what I thought I saw you start to do in a couple of those clips

#7 Marikc0

Marikc0

Warrant officer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:27 AM

I'm going to watch that video and make sure of what I'm thinking you mean but I believe you mean to not chase too close, slow down if needed and to bank the other way if he goes into a hard turn?

edit: yep that's what I thought I saw you start to do in a couple of those clips

I guess it would be easier for me to say that it's not the best idea to force your guns into a shot through an entire fight and instead it's best to turn out wide to prepare for the shot at times (especially in a Boom and Zoom). Had to re-word that to make sense.

#8 Reprisal

Reprisal

Aircraftman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

I was looking exactly for a general tips list like this. Nice to read.

#9 Nef

Nef

Flight lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

"#1. RAISED FLAPS: In arcade raised flaps do not really help to increase speed over combat flaps. You might prefer to keep combat flaps. Some people will disagree, but until you prove otherwise you're just making it up. I haven't seen any proof myself. Even so, I still tend to use raised flaps in a chase or when desiring to gain nose down speed. I can't say I've seen the proof that it helps though."

Go to the test flight on any of your planes. Take off, and start climbing slowly, find an angle of climbing that your speed(IAS) doesnt change, or raises very slowly. Now let go of your controls and hit combat flaps. You will notice your speed will start dropping. Change back to Raised, and you will pick up speed again. Or after take off, level you flight, and wait till you reach max speed (may take a while ;P), then deploy combat flaps, your plane will slow down. The influence on speed isnt big, but its there for sure. It is noticable if you are chasing somebody on combat flaps and you close in slowly, change to rised and you will notice you are closing faster than with combat flaps.

"In GROUND maps I immediately pick the Thunderbolt, hold W, put my nose down a bit and gain as much as speech as possible and head towards the closest ground targets on the map. Since the 1x500lb will drop first, I will target something clustered close together, but not a pillbox. Then I will likely hit a pillbox with a single 1000lb which cracks a pillbox in one hit and likely takes out surrounding AAA or artillery. Then I'll try and drop the last 1000lb on a cluster of tanks." 

I'm pretty sure the 1000lb bombs located under wings drop first. The 500lb bomb(smaller one located "under belly") goes as last. So you can take out 2 pillboxes first and drop the last 500 on tank column for example. Thats what ive been doing at least  :)s

Anyway, that was a good read, a lot of usefull information for new players(and not only)  :good:

#10 Marikc0

Marikc0

Warrant officer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:43 AM

"#1. RAISED FLAPS: In arcade raised flaps do not really help to increase speed over combat flaps. You might prefer to keep combat flaps. Some people will disagree, but until you prove otherwise you're just making it up. I haven't seen any proof myself. Even so, I still tend to use raised flaps in a chase or when desiring to gain nose down speed. I can't say I've seen the proof that it helps though."

Go to the test flight on any of your planes. Take off, and start climbing slowly, find an angle of climbing that your speed(IAS) doesnt change, or raises very slowly. Now let go of your controls and hit combat flaps. You will notice your speed will start dropping. Change back to Raised, and you will pick up speed again. Or after take off, level you flight, and wait till you reach max speed (may take a while ;P), then deploy combat flaps, your plane will slow down. The influence on speed isnt big, but its there for sure. It is noticable if you are chasing somebody on combat flaps and you close in slowly, change to rised and you will notice you are closing faster than with combat flaps.

"In GROUND maps I immediately pick the Thunderbolt, hold W, put my nose down a bit and gain as much as speech as possible and head towards the closest ground targets on the map. Since the 1x500lb will drop first, I will target something clustered close together, but not a pillbox. Then I will likely hit a pillbox with a single 1000lb which cracks a pillbox in one hit and likely takes out surrounding AAA or artillery. Then I'll try and drop the last 1000lb on a cluster of tanks." 

I'm pretty sure the 1000lb bombs located under wings drop first. The 500lb bomb(smaller one located "under belly") goes as last. So you can take out 2 pillboxes first and drop the last 500 on tank column for example. Thats what ive been doing at least  :)s

Anyway, that was a good read, a lot of usefull information for new players(and not only)  :good:

I guess the thing is that it's just such an incredibly small difference that you either dedicate time to switching or don't. I still do, especially while BNZ fighting, but at times I just switch to combat flaps and concentrate on flying. It just depends on the situation. I think they actually need to increase the effectiveness of raised a little bit or whatever is needed.

You may be right about the TB, I'll have to check. Right now, I'm not using it. When I realized how much money it was costing me I stopped flying it. Just removed that section because the post was getting pretty long.

#11 LuckyJack

LuckyJack

Recruit

• Members
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:27 AM

nice guide

btw. one rocket is enough to destroy a cargo ship

#12 Marikc0

Marikc0

Warrant officer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:11 AM

nice guide

btw. one rocket is enough to destroy a cargo ship

Thanks, wasn't sure. I just remembered spamming them the other day and getting the kill.

#13 Marikc0

Marikc0

Warrant officer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:52 AM

Updated with AIRCRAFT ENERGY POTENTIAL section.

#14 NoAuthority

NoAuthority

Aircraftman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:12 PM

So most of the time in US planes you will find boom and zoom most effective?

#15 Marikc0

Marikc0

Warrant officer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:08 AM

So most of the time in US planes you will find boom and zoom most effective?

A lot of the ones I've used in the list, but they are "ok" turn fighters, you just can't really engage in flat turn fights, you need to find a way to out maneuver in the turns. Especially against zeroes or spitfires for example. Also, they don't seem to be stable in a high speed dive, so I wouldn't get too high above the target so you don't gain too much speed in the dive attack.

#16 Guest_Hethwill_*

Guest_Hethwill_*
  • Guests
  • Thanks

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:20 AM

Interesting guide.

I suggest you make use of spoilers :) 

#17 GroundZeroCro

GroundZeroCro

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:27 AM

Wow marik you really did your homework there. Big post, hope it's gonna be helpful!

Btw, is there any special technique of slowing down plane when you dive, in try to put yourself in a rear of your oponent. You know, if you miss him from 1 dive, you just gooooo.... in front of him ? Turning power off doesn't really help.

#18 Marikc0

Marikc0

Warrant officer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:47 AM

Wow marik you really did your homework there. Big post, hope it's gonna be helpful!

Btw, is there any special technique of slowing down plane when you dive, in try to put yourself in a rear of your oponent. You know, if you miss him from 1 dive, you just gooooo.... in front of him ? Turning power off doesn't really help.

Well, the simple answer is if you want to slow down, pull up ;). Some will tell you to drop your throttle, which technically works, but that takes a lot of time (and doesn't do anything at all in a dive, except lower the rate at which you're becoming a bullet). Depends on the situation. If I'm going to overshoot someone and I'm too close, I usually just pull up to a climb right above them long enough for them to get some distance laterally then dive back down behind them. Seems to work really well. Keep an eye on them with the camera.  :salute:

#19 NoAuthority

NoAuthority

Aircraftman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

A lot of the ones I've used in the list, but they are "ok" turn fighters, you just can't really engage in flat turn fights, you need to find a way to out maneuver in the turns. Especially against zeroes or spitfires for example. Also, they don't seem to be stable in a high speed dive, so I wouldn't get too high above the target so you don't gain too much speed in the dive attack.

Thanks for that.  I find myself engaging in sraight turn fighting way too much.  Guess I should stay with the Japanese.  :Ps

#20 Jilson

Jilson

Recruit

• Members
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:00 PM

Very helpful. Bookmarked.  :)s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users