11 replies to this topic

#1 mocoow

mocoow

Warrant officer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

Hello i'm planning to buy a joystick, mainly to play war thunder and arma 2. It's the first one I'll buy and I'd like some recommendations, price range about 100-160£ or 120-180€.

Thanks.

Gott Mit Uns

WT_sig523_zpsaf121901.jpg

#2 Guest_Hethwill_*

Guest_Hethwill_*
  • Guests
  • Thanks

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

Nice price range. 

Take this as a starting point http://zakmoonbeam.h...d-Hotas-Reviews

I'm sure you can find any brand dealers around you area.

#3 mocoow

mocoow

Warrant officer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

Thank you for the link, I'm probably going to buy the Saitek X52 with joystick and throttle and separate pedals.

Gott Mit Uns

WT_sig523_zpsaf121901.jpg

#4 Guest_Hethwill_*

Guest_Hethwill_*
  • Guests
  • Thanks

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

then this thread will help you out.

http://forum.warthun...ants-to-use-it/

#5 Warpig777

Warpig777

Fighter Jock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 Thanks

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

Thank you for the link, I'm probably going to buy the Saitek X52 with joystick and throttle and separate pedals.

Good choice, you won't regret it. :good:

#6 Zirakss

Zirakss

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 Thanks

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:23 AM

If you don't already bought it, maybe you can take a look to the CH products:

http://www.simhq.com...ology_014a.html

I have a thrusty old CH Flightstick with throttle. Sadly an old gameport version which I can't use anymore under windows 7. But it survived 18 years and still works. Only the lacking support of a gameport in the actual windows versions took it out if service.

I prefer the handling of the stick above a thrustmaster or saitek stick. You have a bigger way to move and I could better aim with it. But that is a personal preference. Other people don't like to move the stick such a long way.

The sturdiness of the hardware is more than astounding and that's reported from a lot of people. The saitek looks much more modern but I've heared from some people that those devices can fail after only two or three years of use. Ok, the "use" is better described as three years in hell for a joystick, but a CH or one of the better Thrustmasters could take even that severe beating. I guess you could take one of the better Thrustmasters, hammer a nail into the wall and plug it in again to shoot more planes down.

#7 Zeppa

Zeppa

Aircraftman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

I will borrow this thread if you dont mind :)

Looking for cheap and "good" stick.. I have 2 options atm, suggest something better from the same price range (50-70e)

Saitek Cyborg X
SPEEDLINK Black Widow

Im leaning towards the Saitek one, it has more buttons and adjustments.
Black Widow has vibration, is this usefull feature or useless?

#8 Prinz_Valium

Prinz_Valium

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

I have this saitek stick and it is the the money worth its a realy good low budget stick. but u have to set it up correctly!

wvnnjy92.pngrm5iruhc.pngJG26 Prinz Valium      

#9 Zirakss

Zirakss

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 Thanks

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

If you are on a tight budget maybe you want to take a look onto the Thrustmaster T.16000M. It has hall sensors for it's axis which is quite remarkable in that priceclass.

Difference between hall sensors and potentiometers?

Hall sensors messure a magnet field. On the moving part you have a small neodyne magnet, the sensor does not move at all. Which means they don't wear out. That's a problem with potentiometers. CH is known to use extreme good ones but most wear out after some time. Even the potentiometers of the highend Thrustmaster Cougar are not that good and there is a small aftermarket for hall-sensor mods.

Here I found a round up about some actual joysticks: http://www.xbitlabs....ck-roundup.html

And one "downside" of CH-Products: No force feedback!

#10 Zeppa

Zeppa

Aircraftman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for the replies!
That T.16000 seems ok, but seems to be under a stone around here... every webstore gives 0 at storage and delivery time is weeks...
Im aware of the difference between sensors, but Im sure regular pots are enough for me and those are replaceable after warranty is off... many times simple thing as cleaning them helps.
Like I did yesterday for my old pedals, just remover and cleaned... no more spiking and freaking around.

New candidate is this

Saitek Cyborg F.L.Y 5

Lost of buttons and floral on it, throttle levers etc... tho that page "harly recommends" it.

#11 Zirakss

Zirakss

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 Thanks

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:58 AM

Thanks for the replies!
That T.16000 seems ok, but seems to be under a stone around here... every webstore gives 0 at storage and delivery time is weeks...

[...]

Here in germany there a lot of online stores with it:

http://translate.goo...ergleich/393149

The Stick is not perfect:

• The six buttons on the bottom can't be distinguished from each other only by feel. Some user have a problem with it, others don't.
  • The throttle is a simple slider with no tactical feedback. It does work, but for some for people it feels kind of flimsy.

It does not look like so, but you can configure it for left hand use! Back in the old days I used to play MechWarrior that way: Left hand on stick (was a CH Flighstick) for mech movement, right hand on mouse for aiming.

I've seen it in a big electronic store, looking for a replacement for my beloved CH (I guess I will bring my arduino board to good use). The movement of the stick plays in the leage of the Saitek X52 Pro. The other saiteks were worn out badly. Even the normal Saitek X52 (not the Pro Version)! It was not so bad as with the cheaper saiteks, but considered the price tag it was unbearable. The Logitech Extreme 3D felt kind of broken. I guess it was, but I don't like logitech sticks. Maybe it was only a bad configured forcefeed back.

Of course the Saitek X52 Pro brings a solid throttle with lots of nice buttons. Only problem: It costs the treble of the Thrustmaster.

#12 Zeppa

Zeppa

Aircraftman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:09 AM

Agreed,

With more research I have abandoned idea about those cyborg joysticks, after looking around the internet seems like they have bad build quality so I wont take the risk. Same goes for the Black Widow, elecktronic/mechanic side.
Seems like I will go for the T.16000, I believe its worth the wait. Untill then have to deal with freetrack, pedals and mouse :crazy:

Thank you all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users