79 replies to this topic

#1 NotRacist

NotRacist

Group captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2 Thanks

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

Nice job Gaijin, you created something that makes it imposible to dogfight right

It's called INSTRUCTOR

It forces your throttle to 100% when you reach a low speed while climbing, making it impossble to do moves that require the basic or variants of the hammerhead. I can't tell how many times I've tried to do one, that would have gotten me a kill, and INSTRUCTOR turned my engine to 100%, making me lose the kill and frequently, if I'm low enough, crash into the ground. For some reason, it does not make your throttle full when you're flying level, and a low speed while flying level is equally dangerous for beginners (who INSTRUCTOR was made for) who don't know that planes can stall

INSTRUCTOR does nothing useful. It does prevent you from getting into an unrecoverable spin, but from my experiences in FRB (often not playing on my account), these spins are very recoverable, but they require at least 500m of altitude. Getting rid of INSTRUCTOR would teach mouse-aimers to fly better and not rely on a machine to fly their plane for them. It would teach them the limits of turning and the advantages of not turning in a huge circle for 4 minutes until you can shoot the enemy.

It would also get rid of most of the advantages that mouse aimers have, because with INSTRUCTOR you can just set the cursor and your planes moves to it like a cat to a laser, but without INSTRUCTOR, you have to control the degree of your elevators and movements. It would also make the game better for people who want to keep mouse aim but still be able to dogfight properly

#2 Warpig777

Warpig777

Fighter Jock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 Thanks

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

Realistic controls will turn the instructor off.

#3 King_Hrothgar

King_Hrothgar

Group captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 33 Thanks

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

So don't use instructor mode. It's designed to keep uber Aces from killing themselves, it isn't meant for people who know what they are doing.

#4 NotRacist

NotRacist

Group captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2 Thanks

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:47 AM

So don't use instructor mode. It's designed to keep uber Aces from killing themselves, it isn't meant for people who know what they are doing.

Not sure if that's an ACES pun or not...

Is there an option to turn off INSTRUCTOR? I can play FRB (dogfought against a FW-190 in FRB once and was winning in my P-38 only to find out he was a fellow mustang) but I hate playing FRB in cockpit view. It just seems so... artificial, having all the realism except the actual realism, if that makes any sense

What the heck? When I quote you "Aces" turns into Aces, how do you do that?

#5 NotRacist

NotRacist

Group captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2 Thanks

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:47 AM

Aces 

#6 Guest_Hethwill_*

Guest_Hethwill_*
  • Guests
  • Thanks

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:56 AM

Instructor actually keeps most folks addicted to simplified instead of trying to control the plane proper. And the thing is they actually have way better results that the typical "realistic controls" pilot.

Hard to enter a spin when they hard bank, instructor will compensate :)

True, it won't let you do more complicated thought of manoeuvres, like stalling on purpose, hammerheading or even forcing a spin or a induced barrel roll.

Go realistic controls and get rid of it :)

#7 NotRacist

NotRacist

Group captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2 Thanks

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:13 AM

Instructor actually keeps most folks addicted to simplified instead of trying to control the plane proper. And the thing is they actually have way better results that the typical "realistic controls" pilot.

Hard to enter a spin when they hard bank, instructor will compensate :)

True, it won't let you do more complicated thought of manoeuvres, like stalling on purpose, hammerheading or even forcing a spin or a induced barrel roll.

Go realistic controls and get rid of it :)

But it's too hard to fly realistic

dogfights are okay, but stuff like actually keeping the plane straight is impossible, I mean with relative mouse you have to keep scrolling down to keep your nose level, and with mouse-joy it's impossible to find a spot to put it and not adjust it every 2 seconds

#8 King_Hrothgar

King_Hrothgar

Group captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 33 Thanks

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:04 AM

Well that's interesting, I'm quite certain I didn't type "Aces." Let's test something: Ace.

#9 King_Hrothgar

King_Hrothgar

Group captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 33 Thanks

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:05 AM

Yep, confirmed, it changes n.o,o,b, to Aces. How cute.

#10 Shardur

Shardur

Pilot officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5 Thanks

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:09 AM

It changes Ace?

Edit: lol

#11 CrimsonShrike

CrimsonShrike

Recruit

• Members
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

The problem is that you're all a bunch of Aces

Edit: roflmao

Now seriously, realistic with mouse is horrible, I'd like to be able to turn off instructor, so that at least I have a bit more control over my plane, while still being able to fly it.

#12 W1_Oz

W1_Oz

Squadron leader

• Tournament Organizer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 41 Thanks

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

You can not fly without instructor in mouse-aim mode,

it's the mouse aim itself not a limiter as you understand.

It's like saying, "this engine is so heavy, take it from my plane,

but I want to fly the plane without it in the same time."

My Simulation Corner on Youtube | Twitch

11_zps26960fa0.jpg

#13 W6_Phant0m

W6_Phant0m

Warrant officer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

Now seriously, realistic with mouse is horrible, I'd like to be able to turn off instructor, so that at least I have a bit more control over my plane, while still being able to fly it.

Both you and Chung have highlighted the problem, the issue is with mouse-joy being less than lacklustre. Implementing code to reduce the instructor's input would be a nightmare: so many situations which are really grey areas occur in combat - did the player mean to do this or that, is that stall intentional? Think of the threads complaining about the timer on plane death - you would of thought that is something that is pretty clear cut, but apparently not.

Bringing mouse-joy up to standard is something that is achievable and should be where gajin and beta testers  are putting their efforts.

#14 Godart32

Godart32

Officer cadet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

Pre 1.25 mouse control in HB was more floaty and you could stall. For example the first time I flew HB I was excited because the planes felt and acted like in those WW2 guncam video.

But as time goes the game casualise itself, even arcade was harder before.

iplkofT.png

#15 NotRacist

NotRacist

Group captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2 Thanks

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:01 AM

Pre 1.25 mouse control in HB was more floaty and you could stall. For example the first time I flew HB I was excited because the planes felt and acted like in those WW2 guncam video.

But as time goes the game casualise itself, even arcade was harder before

Don't knwo about this, but I think mouse aim had a less restrictive INSTRUCTOR before 1.25 came out, because I remember that I was able to do hammerheads and stuff like rudder dropping in HB (and maybe arcade, don't remember) before 1.25 and 27

#16 Guest_P_H_Clostermann_*

Guest_P_H_Clostermann_*
  • Guests
  • Thanks

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

Bah- Instructor. I will fly with my joystick in FRB becasue that is fun- But in HB I wish I could turn it off, So many tight turns screwed over because of it; I KNEW I WAS GOING TO STALL, THAT WAS THE PLAN SILLY.

#17 King_Hrothgar

King_Hrothgar

Group captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 33 Thanks

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

You do realize you can set full aircraft controls in HB right? That's what I run with. I assure you some planes stall just fine. That said something around 75% of the planes in game atm have simple placeholder fm's that are genuinely impossible to stall no matter what you do. Currently it seems to be anything british, american or with more than one engine is using a simple placeholder. The P-40 and P-39 seem to be exceptions to that, both have proper fm's although strangely the P-63 does not.

#18 Torashuu

Torashuu

Corporal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

Maybe I'm being silly, but iirc the level of instructor is handled by your control settings not the arcade/HB/FRB choice? So setting controls to realistic/full should remove any instructor intervention.

#19 NotRacist

NotRacist

Group captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2 Thanks

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

Alright this is freaking bullshtt, I was in a badly damaged Corsair playing US vs Russia, and I was dogfighting a full-health LA-5.

Now you know how hard it is to dogfight a LA-5 in any plane, but I was in a badly damage Corsair with a RED ENGINE and RED WINGS and RED TAIL and I STILL came on top. I had no option to run away because my engine was red, and did I mention my fuel was leaking, so I had 2 minutes to dispose of the La-5 and land.

SO MANY TIMES I was THIS close to killing him if it weren't for my INSTRUCTOR. I used the mouse to aim, but the plane wasn't turning fast enough, so I switched to the WASD keys, but that made the plane over-compensate, so I switched to mouse, and that made the plane go back to where it was, so I used the WASD keys and again and again...

The margin between my reticule and where it shoudl have been to hit his plane, .3km away, was literally UNDER A CENTIMETER on my screen, and whenever I used WASD, it overcompensated a good 2 cm, so it was really impossible to hit the plane.

Did I mention WHY I had a red plane in the first place? A failed hammerhead that would have gotten me the kill against the La-5, all because INSTRUCTOR turned my engine to 100% on the top of the loop. This resulted in me getting stuck on the top of the loop for a good 10 seconds (how is this that even possible?) and the La-5 managing to damage my plane RED

I eventually ran out of fuel trying to kill him, and I died

#20 SirTalisker

SirTalisker

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 0 Thanks

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

Buy a joystick and do full aircraft controls.. 

You can't have it all, playing easy mode and expect to make any manouvre. 

I'm glad that you find the instructor frustrating, because it's frustrating for us full aircraft controll users too when we get shot in impossible angles by ppl using a mouse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users