Currently the Simulator Battles Community is rather unhappy with the state of bombers as you may know, for several reasons:
- Artificially rugged damage models
- Very resilient crew on some bombers
- Extremely accurate defensive armament over long ranges
- To high tracking-speed of AI-gunners
- "Hive-mind", basically gunner know where an enemy will appear in their field of fire without seing him
- Generally alot easier to aim with then aircraft/joystick
- No cockpits = a lot better view than any fighter while fighters should have better field of view
- Third person view allowing for even easier spotting
- "Auto-Pilot" in Third person can fly aircraft with damage, without the pilot having to correct
As a result, it is very easy to farm RP and SL with a Bomber in SB by killing enemy aircraft. Therefor you often see Arcade/Realistic Battles players coming to SB events just to shoot down people with their bombers, abusing the currently broken aspects of especially but not exclusively US-bombers.
Now the real Simulator Players who are actually able to fly their aircraft, land, takeoff, aim with a joystick etc. (the ones who are actually playing this mode) are becoming extremely annoyed by this, since no matter how good you are, in the end it is just luck if you get the bomber or he shoots you down from absurd distances first.
The following days we had a few events:
- New Guinea Campaign: Mitchells vs Zeroes
- Guardian Angel: B-17 vs Me 410, 109, 190s
- Sicily: B-24 vs 109, 190, M.C.202
All these events had one thing in common. The allied side had a very high amount of bombers queueing up. These bombers deliberately abused their current state and the Axis side had no real chance of fighting them back (Apart from Me 410 A1/U4 maybe, but even that goes down to .50cals very quickly). People stopped queueing up with Axis. The players wanting to play Allied fighters could barely get into a match because the queue was so plugged with allied bombers.
In the end the queue broke down and you couldnt get a game anymore, no matter what you queued up with.
That is a shame, since Historical events would be so much fun.
Since bombers are currently being abused to shoot down fighters (for example in the GA-event B-17s where at the top of the scoreboard with high kill-counts all the time), I suggest disabling
- Multi-engined bomber aircraft (Like B-25, B-17, Ju-88)
- Multi-engined attackers derived from bombers or with strong defensive arnament (Like PBJ, Havoc, but not Mosquito)
- Flying boats
at least in events until the problems listed above are resolved. Many SB players are leaving this mode because they cant stand it anymore.
I dont see a big problem with disabling them, since
- Most nations still have capable attackers who can deal with ground objectives and are both fun to play while being fair and actually have a cockpit as well.
- Bombers are usually flown by people who have no interest in SB and just want easy money, therefor ruining SB in the long run, the amount of real SB-bomber pilots is very low (and I am sorry for them having to be thrown into the same bag with all the abusers)
- There is currently a lot of griefing and team-killing/ramming between SB players and bomber abusers going on, which is causing a hateful and unfun atmosphere
- Once bombers are fixed and fair, I am more then happy to see them in the sky again, and finally escort a B-17 in my P-47 and not the other way around
Just to make sure everybody understands me, this should be seen as a Hotfix until bombers are completely fixed. Because it takes time for the devs implementing all the required changes on Bombers to make them fair in SB. Removing them from the events list until then however should be the work of half an hour, so the devs could easily do that for now.
Edited by Juliet_Six, 02 August 2014 - 01:03 AM.